Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: EAA cuts

Thanks, Chad, and Hal, for all you contribute to these forums. How do you guys get anything else done? ;-)

I'd really like to see more participation in the forums from Rod, Mac, and others. (Charlie Becker does a pretty good job of it.) I realize that the higher up in the organization, the more demands on your time, but an occasional post reminds us that they are tuned-in to what's going on.

To his credit, Rod contributed a few times last year; since I don't look at EVERY forum, he may be more active in warbirds. I don't recall seeing anything from Mac. That's an observation, not a condemnation.

If the organization really does want to change to make it attractive to members/potential members who are younger than 50, social media cannot be ignored.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    That goes double for me - I didn't sleep much toward the end of last week, and I was checking the forums pretty compulsively day and night. It's a credit to all of you that I didn't have to ask for any "course corrections" or send any polite reminders. Passion and civility can sometimes be mutually exclusive, but, as Chad said, among EAA members that just isn't the case!
    I've noticed over the years in EAA that we can have passionate discussions and differing opinions, but at the end of the day we are all dedicated to the pursuit of aviation and that unites us no matter what side of the line our opinions may lie on. I think people in this organization do a better job than most about "agreeing to disagree" and then moving on to talking about the thing we're really here for...aviation. Thanks Chad, Hal, and the rest of the EAA staff for giving us the room to have our discussions, voice our opinions, and talk it all out. Six months from now this will all likely be behind us and we'll be enjoying a cold beverage under the wing at Oshkosh.

Here's an open invitation from Stacy and I to stop by N6929D's camp in Vintage at Airventure. Where the "ones" are always "cold".
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treetop_Flyer View Post
    Here's an open invitation from Stacy and I to stop by N6929D's camp in Vintage at Airventure. Where the "ones" are always "cold".
    I'm there! (And by the way, the Tri-Pacer has always been my favorite "nosedragger" - I got some time years ago in N6121D, so your N-number in your sig always makes me do a double-take! )

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Ya know...If I was to consider resigning my membership in EAA, it would probably not be because of magazine content, or reorganization at the corporate level! It would probably be that I got tired of all the bitching that goes on about magazine content and the distrust of the leadership. But, I won't resign - I'll just not read all the negative comments.....

Jerry, characterizing your interpretation of all that has been expressed here this past week as "bitching" and "negative comments" is painting all posters with the same broad brush stroke. That's a disservice and an insult to the membership who have legitimate concerns. It's also grossly unfair and narrow-minded.

Without critical thinking, dissenting and differing opinion, observation, healthy debate and a constructive exchange of dialogue , we will be left with the oligarchy dictates of those we entrust to shape and guide our present and future. EAA is a membership and volunteer driven organization. We don't work for our leadership. Our leadership serves at our pleasure.

In the absence of a plain English and detailed press release or continuing follow-up explaining the whats and whys such events occurred, we were blindsided, left in a state of confusion and thoroughly mystified by what had taken place. As a result, our leadership deserves this avalanche of vociferous concern, opinion and speculation. Never refrain from being critical. It keeps people honest!

Our leadership has a responsibility, moreso an obligation, to clearly tell us what has transpired, why it was necessary and what exactly is the vision for the future.

I don't blame Rod Hightower(likely in conjunction with the Director of Communications) for the language and tone of the original press release, full of obfuscation and corporate-speak). He can't help it--it's where he came from. I don't know Rod but I do know his resume. He's been a C-level guy for publicly traded Fortune 500 companies. That's how they talk/reveal or more aptly, don't reveal. But clearly, in this instance, he forgot who his stakeholders were and how to maximize EAA shareholder value. Hopefully, he's read the comments on this Forum or has been advised of them and now realizes that release and lack of informative follow-up was a misstep, a serious underestimation of the people he serves. And, he will now take the nessessary steps to correct the course.

The first step must be an absolute written in stone assurance that the raison d'etre of the organization-Homebuilders and their vested interests- will remain the cornerstone of whatever directional change is anticipated going forward. The second step must be the communication to the membership of clearly defined guidelines and expectations-a sectional route map if you will- that sets out how this directional change is to be achieved along with the expected results.

Thanks for reading and listening, much appreciated. Now, after the upheaval of this past week, I think we all need to relax with a heavy and timely dose of airplane diversion. Let's all go see "Red Tails" being released tomorrow. Then, let's all provide Rotten Tomato type reviews on Jon Ferguson's thread.

Most of us have far too little information and expertise in organizational development to make valid comments on the organization changes at EAA. What this thread is missing is a focus on one very profound aspect of the changes. The new EAA mission statement - "Growing participation in aviation". This, my fellow members, is the over-arching profound challenge we all face! This is far more important than growing EAA membership or member servcies or the org chart, per se, because the relentless decline in G.A. over several decades is a trajectory with a chilling end game! Againts this backdrop, we must be careful we are not rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic when we get wrapped around the axle on lesser matters. It is to EAA's leadership's great credit that they have identified the central life-&-death issue we all face. The only peculiar part is why AOPA isn't out front on this.

As past president of Chapter 1158, in West Bend, it is shocking and disappointing to find out about the cuts in corporate Oshkosh. Paul P. has said "EAA is about the people". Then who in upper level management thought it was a great idea to cut the people that have helped build this organization? You can't tell me it's for a lack of money or donations. We've been getting jabbed for years at the cost of attending Airventure for parking, food, and attendance. Just because we fly, not all of us have a multi-million dollar net worth. Chapter 1158 has threatened in the past to become AOPA Chapter 1, and I believe this conversation will be had once again at our next board meeting. I am completely disgusted at the lack of respect the top level of EAA has shown it's staff. I'm definately re-thinking on how I donate my time and efforts to this organization and spend my time at Airventure. Very disgusted and ticked off in West Bend.

AJ, I would invite you to call Rod. He is more than happy to talk to folks about the changes. I know he is traveling today from Sebring, but if you don't catch him, leave him a message. Seriously...he will listen and talk to you.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    AJ, I would invite you to call Rod. He is more than happy to talk to folks about the changes. I know he is traveling today from Sebring, but if you don't catch him, leave him a message. Seriously...he will listen and talk to you.
    I would second this. Rod is one of the most open-minded and genuinely nice folks I have ever met. If the suggestion that I made to Chad a few days ago by PM gains any traction I really look forward to working with Chad and Rod to get it implemented to the benefit of the experimental community.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I know Rod too. Worked with him on his instrument rating. Always open minded and willing to listen. While some of the changes might not make sense to us at the time I'm sure there is a good reason. I trust Rod and his judgement to make the right decision.

I only met him when I was drooling over his plane last year. What's funny is I didn't know I was talking to the president of the EAA until someone addressed him by his last name to which he quickly responded that "It's Rod. No need to be all formal. What can I do for you?". He seems like the most reasonable, level headed and amiable guy I've ever met through EAA. Honestly, I like him more than either of the Pobereznys and that's saying a lot because I'd pretty much cut a kidney out of my own back for them.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.