Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: EAA cuts

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Ya know...If I was to consider resigning my membership in EAA, it would probably not be because of magazine content, or reorganization at the corporate level! It would probably be that I got tired of all the bitching that goes on about magazine content and the distrust of the leadership. But, I won't resign - I'll just not read all the negative comments.....
    Amen to that Jerry! I need to buy you lunch some time for saying exactly what I was thinking.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I was emailed today by Adam Smith to let me know that he is no longer with the EAA. I have had the pleasure of dealing with him in regards to a problem at Oshkosh. I have respect for him, for his willingness to listen and for trying to help correct a problem. I was impressed that even after leaving the organisation he felt the need to respond to a member and still try to be of assistance. In my dealings with him his honesty, caring and true desire to be of help, have shown him to be a man of honor and integrity. My hat is off to you Adam and I wish you a very bright future. You have my thanks for your efforts.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    I was emailed today by Adam Smith to let me know that he is no longer with the EAA. I have had the pleasure of dealing with him in regards to a problem at Oshkosh. I have respect for him, for his willingness to listen and for trying to help correct a problem. I was impressed that even after leaving the organisation he felt the need to respond to a member and still try to be of assistance. In my dealings with him his honesty, caring and true desire to be of help, have shown him to be a man of honor and integrity. My hat is off to you Adam and I wish you a very bright future. You have my thanks for your efforts.

Randy
    When a "man of honor and integrity" finds it necessary to resign from an organization, you have to wonder what is going on. As a retired Air Force Officer, when I was on active duty I always had that option if I could not, in conscience, support my commanders, but it was one that would (and should) only be exercised in the most extreme of circumstances.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    When a "man of honor and integrity" finds it necessary to resign from an organization, you have to wonder what is going on. As a retired Air Force Officer, when I was on active duty I always had that option if I could not, in conscience, support my commanders, but it was one that would (and should) only be exercised in the most extreme of circumstances.

He may have gotten the resign or be terminated option. The aviation news outlets reported that one of those released "resigned under protest" which I take to mean the option was resign or be fired.

Then you're one of the few good ones. I can count on both hands the number of folks- officer and enlisted- in the unit I spent most of my time in the Air Force whose word I would believe if they told me the sky was blue without first checking it out for myself.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    He may have gotten the resign or be terminated option. The aviation news outlets reported that one of those released "resigned under protest" which I take to mean the option was resign or be fired.
    That is not correct. I won't speak for him here, that's not appropriate, but his departure was entirely his decision.

I wouldn't read too much in any one person's leaving an organization, particularly if they've been there a long time.

I've been through some downsizing efforts, and for every five that get the axe or early retirement there's usually one that punches out for other reasons.

It does work as a catylst, though. Folks leave the organization, which leads to the kitchen table "what if" discussion. And sometimes that brings the realization that the assets are in place for retirement or another job opportunity.

I retired from the Army a couple years from the maximum allowable for my grade under similar circumstances - the base was closing and it looked like one more final move, this one as a geographical bachelor. The wife and I sat down, crunched the numbers, and I put my paperwork in after they turned out to be agreeable.

Some took it as a sign of protest over how the move was being handled with a new commander, others that I didn't want to train a new office, and some made up outrageous rumors that I fully enjoyed hearing (if only my life were that complex!), but none of it was true.

It was just time to do something else, and a time of change at work seemed like a good time to open up a new door to see what was on the other side. Change begets change.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone, regardless of how you feel about the changes, for being civil and thoughtful in your posts, emails, and phone calls. We have received A LOT of feedback from every form of communication available, and while there are those out there that have come up with some pretty outrageous theories as to the why, we are listening, and appreciate it. The majority of the feedback is that of a positive nature, or "I'm not sure, but it could be a good thing". Many have called Rod and Paul directly, and I invite you to do the same.

I got an email from a concerned Chapter president last night. I replied to him, included Rod's mobile number (listed on the letter that went out), and the two had a very nice chat a few moments later, and they may even have chance to meet up in person at Sebring today.

Even in a time of change that raises a lot of questions about the leadership and direction, the way the majority of EAA members handle what is put in front of them puts this organization at the top of the class. Thank you.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Good stuff Frank.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Thank you.
    That goes double for me - I didn't sleep much toward the end of last week, and I was checking the forums pretty compulsively day and night. It's a credit to all of you that I didn't have to ask for any "course corrections" or send any polite reminders. Passion and civility can sometimes be mutually exclusive, but, as Chad said, among EAA members that just isn't the case!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation