Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA cuts

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wa6ilt View Post
    Is it true that peope were pink slipped and had to immediately leave the building? That seems extreme to me for this kind of organization. It's not like EAA is a nuke plant or other high securityhttp://www.harvardready.com/ operation. I've always thought this was a very shabby way of treating loyal employees.

This is not at all unusual in cases like this where large layoffs are involved, in fact it's standard operating procedure. Yes, it may appear shabby, insensitive and cruel but it's done as much for the safety and security of the recently departed as it is for the company as well as to keep the disruption and distraction to a minimum inside the building. At the end of the day, it won't matter how it was handled, as in a few short hours, the morale of the staff left behind will suck big time!

What's more important is that those layed off were treated fairly and respectfully with severence packages. I don't know the employment standards laws in Wisconsin, but local laws notwithstanding, the rule of thumb for "good" companies is one month for every year of service. This is prudently done to avoid or minimize the spectre of far more costly wrongful dismissal lawsuits.

As someone who has personally witnessed a large layoff and been the victim of another, one observation has remained: For whom is this devastating event worse for, the ones let go or the ones left behind?

I concur, Floats,

I've also been the victim of one and observer of another. No fun for anyone, but pretty standard practice. In addition to the items noted in your first paragraph, it also (mostly) protects intellectual property from post-event sabotage. Not that there are folks who would do that kind of thing...

~Chris

I am ignorant to the particulars of the why and the who, but it's the Internet, so....

To those who left, godspeed and hopes that it's a window to something even more fulfilling and prosperous.

To those who remain, a few corporate motivators:

Work smarter, not harder! Prioritize and streamline if you feel task saturated.

Diversity is the lifeblood of the organization! You're not doing two jobs for the pay of one, you're diversifying your skill set!

Employees are our greatest asset! However, it's a play on words, so no sitting on yours, or we'll throw you out on it.

Shift yourparadigm to embrace the core values and direction of the organization. No, we don't know what that means, either, but it's on slide number six of the presentation we paid nine hundred dollars to sit through.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Employees are our greatest asset! However, it's a play on words, so no sitting on yours, or we'll throw you out on it.

Shift yourparadigm to embrace the core values and direction of the organization. No, we don't know what that means, either, but it's on slide number six of the presentation we paid nine hundred dollars to sit through.
    That last line is probably the most realistic motivational statement I have ever seen!! THAT aught to be on a poster... or a T-shirt!! Now to find an appropriate picture to go along with it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Although EAA and the Foundation are NFP's, they are operated and managed like any other $multi-million corporation
    I'm pretty sure the Foundation doesn't exist anymore - I remember that being a big effort to remove any reference to the foundation from buildings, aircraft, print, etc.

And, make no mistake. EAA is "not for profit" only under State of Wisconsin law, which says their shall be no dividend distributed among shareholders. In every other sense, they are all about the dollar. Certain financial information is public record under State of Wisconsin law... and EAA writes out a lot of obnoxiously large checks to consultants and pay their "leaders" a lot of money.

I know that this is just one man's experience, but, being laid off the last time was the best thing anyone has ever done for me. I went out on my own and earned three times as much money by working half as many hours.... It is NOT the end of the world and companies, if they are to survive, need to reorganize to keep up with changing times...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

When all organizations reach critical mass, they must take on the attributes of a large business, corporation. Their thinking and actions must reflect this mentality. Eventually, they are absorbed or merge with other businesses to survive and prosper. In looking at EAA and AOPA, maybe it’s time for a non-hostile takeover. If you look at the strength and weaknesses of the two organizations, it might just be a perfect match.

EAA has the greatest aircraft convention in the world while the AOPA convention is tiny in comparison. I am sure some corporate jets could be parked on the EAA grounds for the convention.

The EAA needs to add corporate aircraft to the mix of aircraft they represent and AOPA should add the experimental to their mix. With one organization representing everyone, we would only need to pay dues to one.

AOPA has their airport representatives and EAA has their chapters all of which could be combined for better coverage of the US.
    The talents of the AOPA legislative lobbyists, being close to Washington, would enhance EAA efforts on that front. And, the EAA organization would expand the numbers of aircraft on the AOPA inventory.

The only issue I see with a merger of the two is the name although EAOAPAs, Every Aircraft Owner & All Pilots Associations does have a ring to it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmutz View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Foundation doesn't exist anymore - I remember that being a big effort to remove any reference to the foundation from buildings, aircraft, print, etc.

And, make no mistake. EAA is "not for profit" only under State of Wisconsin law, which says their shall be no dividend distributed among shareholders. In every other sense, they are all about the dollar. Certain financial information is public record under State of Wisconsin law... and EAA writes out a lot of obnoxiously large checks to consultants and pay their "leaders" a lot of money.

Ahhh Matt, you're quite mistaken and misinformed. The Foundation not only exists, it is a critical component of the entire organization with respect to financials. It's the endowment. Just take a look at the current audited financial report publicly posted on the website for eveyone to read and fall asleep to. EAA pays no income tax...that's NFP plus all the other distinct legal and financial definitions. NFP does not mean that you can't make money or cut large cheques to consultants. Think American Cancer Society...or dare I say....The Vatican.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rademacher View Post
    In looking at EAA and AOPA, maybe it’s time for a non-hostile takeover.
    They both insist they must grow their membership (from a rapidly shrinking pool of potential members) yet neither has proposed how they plan to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    They both insist they must grow their membership (from a rapidly shrinking pool of potential members) yet neither has proposed how they plan to do that.
    You might get 15 or 20 that aren't members of both.