Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA cuts

EAA cuts

I understand EAA cut 20-30 people from its staff today, including the people who layed out the builder and EAA newsletters, as well as the senior editor of the Sport Aviation Magazine.

Wondering if someone from the EAA can tell us what's going on? Was there a cutback in funding and revenue? Is this a strategic realignment and, if so, what is the new strategy.

Was also particularly sorry to see Fareed Guyot, who has been a big help with EAA Radio over the years, as one of the victoms.

I've "talked" (via email) to Dick Knapinski and others inside the EAA and stuck some information about who's coming and who's going on my blog. Sounds like the head of Young Eagles is gone, though I don't know if that means the end of the program or what.

Here's the official news release:

EAA MOVES TO STRENGTHEN ORGANIZATION FOR CONTINUED GROWTH

EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. — (Jan. 12, 2012) — EAA President/CEO Rod Hightower today announced changes that will allow the 170,000-member organization to better fulfill its mission to grow participation in aviation. EAA is strengthening and reshaping the organization to capture the opportunities within its long-term strategic plan. As a result, the organization will be adding important capabilities, and aligning its resources with strategic priorities.

“This will strengthen our organization in several key areas to more effectively meet the needs of our members, donors and aviators,” Hightower said. “We’ve made these moves after spending the past year reviewing EAA’s operations to best align them with the organization’s goals, and listening to many EAA members and supporters regarding the most valued areas of EAA.”

The changes include the addition of new positions, transfers of responsibilities, and the elimination of some positions. There are also senior leadership changes as well, including:

Jeff Skiles – Vice President, Chapters and Youth Education. Skiles is already well known as one of the famed “Miracle on the Hudson” pilots and for the past two years as Young Eagles co-chairman. He brings a wealth of aviation experience and passion to this new role as EAA strengthens and expands its global Chapter network and industry-leading Youth Education initiatives and programs.

Chad Jensen – Manager of EAA’s Homebuilders Community. Jensen brings extensive homebuilding experience and aviation skills to this important role as EAA increases its knowledge and information capabilities for Homebuilders and the amateur-built segment of aviation. He will have extensive involvement with Flight Advisors, Tech Counselors and the passionate community of builders.

Heidi Strand of Blue Door Consulting in Oshkosh will lead EAA Marketing on an interim basis while EAA completes a search for a Vice President of Marketing. Strand will lead EAA’s brand and marketing capabilities and also be responsible for EAA digital media properties and strategy.

Vice President, AirVenture. This newly created role will lead the world’s premier aviation event to continued growth and importance as the preeminent general aviation marketplace.

“Much thought and collaboration has been invested in the reshaping process to make EAA a stronger organization, better equipped to lead aviation and welcome the next generation of aviators,” Hightower said.

About EAA

EAA embodies the spirit of aviation through the world’s most engaged community of aviation enthusiasts. EAA’s 170,000 members and 1,000 local chapters enjoy the fun and camaraderie of sharing their passion for flying, building and restoring recreational aircraft. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 800-JOIN-EAA (800-564-6322) or go to www.eaa.org. For continual news updates, connect with www.twitter.com/EAAupdate.

Well, this looks promising

Yep, Chad has been here for a while, but now he’s moving the homebuilt community to the senior leadership table – giving the builders a direct voice at the table.

Was a rough day at EAA today...The Young Eagles/Eagle Flight Programs are not going away, but will fall under Jeff Skiles now. Steve Buss and Ron Wagner are still here (as is Sue Lurvey).

I am very happy about the move to the senior leadership team to bring the homebuilders voice the direct line. I will also be providing the seat for Warbirds, IAC, and Vintage.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    I will also be providing the seat for Warbirds, IAC, and Vintage.
    Chad, can you explain the quoted statement?

Also, Bob Collins asked what the driver was behind this dramatic reorganization. Is anyone going to address that question?

Finally, I'm sorry for anyone who lost their job in the reorganization. I hate to see that happen.

Sure thing Kyle, adding four people to the leadership team is too much, Rod selected me to be the channel to the table for the divisions, along with my area of homebuilding. I think the answer to your question about what the driver was is addressed by Rod in the communications release above.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Sure thing Kyle, adding four people to the leadership team is too much, Rod selected me to be the channel to the table for the divisions, along with my area of homebuilding. I think the answer to your question about what the driver was is addressed by Rod in the communications release above.
    Thanks Chad.

It worries me that the core divisions of the EAA only have one seat at the leadership table, whereas the bureaucracy has the rest.

Rod's communication says "to better fulfill its <The EAA's> mission to grow participation in aviation." Honestly, that statement sounds good in a press release, but what does it really mean? How does the EAA define participaton? Also, is that really the EAA's mission? Is there a published mission statement? I've tried several searches using Google and the search function on the EAA website, and haven't gotten a whiff of one.

The executive directors of the divisions have never reported directly to EAA, they each have their own boards and are a part of EAA through an agreement. Each seat at the leadership table needs to be there for their specific area within the organization. I represent the communities together.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Oh, the official mission statement at EAA is "To Grow Participation in Aviation".
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

keep up the good work Chad.........you're all we got
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155