Thread: Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance

Airport wants insurance on currently non-flying Starduster Too. Any suggestions on how to obtain a liability policy? Thanks Cliff.

If it is non-flying I would talk to whoever you have your homeowners or renter's insurance with & see if they can add on to it or write a separate renters policy for the hangar contents that includes liability. I know State Farm has done this before.

SkySmith Insurance Agency might offer coverage for that.

Otherwise, getting coverage on a yet to fly project is tough. If it was at one time in flying condition, might be a bit easier. In either case, my homeowners won't touch it.

Try AVEMCO phone 800-638-8440 or go to their web site avemco.com.

Joe

The Starduster Too was a flying aircraft with almost 300 hours. It was my father's aircraft but has sat for many years and needs work. I know EAA is associated/works with Falcon insurance but I don't know if this is something they get involved with insuring? Thanks for the information! Cliff
    Last edited by foy; 01-12-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foy View Post
    The Starduster Too was a fly aircraft with almost 300 hours. It was my father's aircraft but has sat for many years and needs work. I know EAA is associated/works with Falcon insurance but I don't know if this is something they get involved with insuring? Thanks for the information! Cliff
    That should be coverable with any company that insures homebuilts. I've done it many times on certificated airplanes when they were down for extensive maintenance like refurb, fabric, engine change, etc.

"WHO" at your airport is asking for liability insurance on a non-flying aircraft? Is it the administrative person just following the established procedures or someone higher? Have you had a conversation with your airport manager? If yes, he/she has a boss. Talk to the Chairman of your Airport Authority if your airport has one or whoever is in charge of the airport's governing authority. If you haven't already done so, sit down with the airport manager and explain the condition of your aircraft and present your plan to get the aircraft airworthy and insured at the appropriate time.

I've got a couple of hundred hours in a Starduster Too--sweet little biplane! ...and have been an airport director for a couple of decades. Most of us are reasonable people with some common sense.

Bob Mc

Are you sure that they are not talking about libility insurance to protect the hanger and your neighbor's hanger and contents. Maybe from any mistakes or trouble you may cause such as spray painting where the paint drifts to the other hangers or damage to the hanger. The airport may have insurance on their material from their neglect but not from your neglect. Better ask what they want.
    Doug