Thread: The Value of an EAA Membership

The Value of an EAA Membership

From the December 1953 EAA Experimenter Magazine page 2 left column 3rd paragraph

“If the paper can be put on a self-supporting basis by selling advertising space, and through a good subscription circulation, more funds can be allotted for benefits for the members. The question was brought up that if advertising in this paper was increased by popular demand, would the news space be decreased to a point where there would be more advertising than news. The answer was no. As the ad space increases, more pages would be added to keep the same amount of news space or increase it.”

At this point there were 146 members at $5 each

EAA had also just moved into “new” headquarters. From Paul and Audrey’s Kitchen table to a basement room!

I like the title of Paul’s discussion in his “The Home Builders Corner” (An excellent name for a Homebuilders Magazine Column for the likes of Sport Aviation). There is also a comment regarding an Amateur Aircraft Builders Association in Kansas. Probably long gone now.

We have EAA. A tremendous resource with years of hard work as a foundation for members and a tremendous archive of information to assist a homebuilder. These are resources the initial 146 members could have never imagined. Looking at the value of $5 in 1953, the membership today is the same price at $40 (an amazing multiple of x8). That said I see lots of discussion in 1953 about homebuilding and that Knight Twister looks really great! Let’s see now, inflate the pages and we either get a few paragraphs about homebuilding, if a multiple of x8 of that newsletters 4 pages, or 32 pages with 16 photos of a Knight Twister. Now that is an idea I like!

Source data for USD value, measuringworth.com:
    In 2010, the relative worth of $5.oo from 1953 is: $40.80 using the Consumer Price Index

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Tate View Post
    EAA had also just moved into “new” headquarters. From Paul and Audrey’s Kitchen table to a basement room!
    I believe it was the converted coal bin!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Clarke Tate View Post
    I like the title of Paul’s discussion in his “The Home Builders Corner” (An excellent name for a Homebuilders Magazine Column for the likes of Sport Aviation).
    Page 102 of the January issue...

I like the idea too Clarke! We will be expanding coverage...that's gonna be one of my roles, to work with Mac to get the coverage up!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Page 102 of the January issue...

I like the idea too Clarke! We will be expanding coverage...that's gonna be one of my roles, to work with Mac to get the coverage up!
    I enjoyed that HANDS ON/ "Homebuilders Corner" it was a very nice article.
    Last edited by Clarke Tate; 01-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.