Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire wall Ti?

Thermal Conductivity

The coefficient of thermal conductivity for 301 and 304 Stainless Steel is 113 btu/in/hr/sq ft/degree F. The coefficient for com'l pure titanium is 9.5 to 11.0, and for 6AL-4V it is 4.4. It is thus conservative to claim that titanium conducts heat 10 times less than stainles steel.

Dave Prizio

All of the numbers mentioned are pretty interesting.

So since I don't know a lot about Ti, some questions come to mind.

How resistant Ti is to the application of a flame for say 5 minutes. A firewall is not just to keep your feet from getting too warm. In the real world, when an exhaust system fails, it can apply a jet of 1700 deg F hot gas to a small area, and there is an erosion component to the mechanism as well as a heating component. Ti can handle heat, but what properties tell us how it handles the type of erosion described above?

The chlorine issue was mentioned. How much exposure to chlorine degrades Ti? Can I clean my Ti firewall with Simple Green? What happens if I splash brake cleaner (has chlorine in it) on that firewall?

As an aside. I know of at least one Red Bull Air Race plane that had a Ti tailwheel spring. The pilot tells me that it cost about $2000, about 10X the cost of a stock spring.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Stainless also has a problem with chlorine leaching - the cheaper alloys are worse. At a job in a previous life we had a plate heat exchanger on the flue of the boiler, we would get pinholes in 304 plates somewhere within 1-2 years, 316 & 321 cost more but lasted a LOT longer.

Unless it is exposed directly to seawater or exhaust gases it really wont be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    As an aside. I know of at least one Red Bull Air Race plane that had a Ti tailwheel spring. The pilot tells me that it cost about $2000, about 10X the cost of a stock spring.
    Y'all probably know a bunch more homebuilts with Ti parts and don't realize it. The gear legs (all 3) on a Sonex are 6AL4V Ti rods. The price used to be comparable to tapered steel rod gear, but I believe more recently, the price of Ti is leading more of the more economically-driven Sonex builders to go with the steel gear. (Steel gear legs for Sonex are not available from the factory, but from an aftermarket light-airplane wheel/brake/gear supplier.)

Why Ti? Do a little research in mountain bikes. There is (or was) a line of bikes that used Ti frames instead of separate moving parts and springs to provide suspension. One nice thing about Ti is it has a lot more natural damping than steel. Get a Sonex down on the runway and it's going to bounce less than the comparable steel or Al gear. Provides a "smoother" ride and sucks up the bumps. Makes your landings look and feel better than maybe your skills (or the conditions) might produce in another airplane.

Of course, one feature of the Sonex gear that keeps the price down is their simple design. The mains are 1.125 round with a single hole drilled through each end. The tailwheel is 0.625 round with a single hole drilled through each end. It would probably be more weight efficient if they were tapered and/or hollow, but that's adding a bunch of cost to what are already some quite expensive parts.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Prizio View Post
    The coefficient of thermal conductivity for 301 and 304 Stainless Steel is 113 btu/in/hr/sq ft/degree F. The coefficient for com'l pure titanium is 9.5 to 11.0, and for 6AL-4V it is 4.4. It is thus conservative to claim that titanium conducts heat 10 times less than stainles steel.

Dave Prizio
    I don't think that's at all conservative. According to MIL-HDBK-5J, the thermal conductivities of 301 SS and Ti-6Al-4V at room temperature, with units BTU/(hr-ft^2-F/ft) are, respectively, 8.5ish and 4.4. An order of magnitude different, certainly not.

Question: The average firewall is not very heavy. Does the weight savings of Ti over galvanized (the lightest firewalls) exceed 2lb?

I will suggest that there are areas of the airplane where you can get larger weight savings with less $$. Example - Use a light weight battery, a light weight alternator, and lightweight starter vs lead acid battery and Prestolite alternator and starter. There are 32+ lbs right there.

A composite tailwheel spring will be 50% lighter and is not expensive to fabricate. Use a lighter tailwheel tire.

Make the wheel pants out of either aluminum, or carbon fiber, not fiberglass. The original carbon fiber Extra 300 wheel pants were something line 2lbs each.

Benny Davis makes wing attach fittings out of Ti. In that application you can take advantage of both the strength and lightness of Ti without buying a lot of material ($$).

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I have a large sheet of "Timetal" (whatever that is) that I bought at Boeing surplus.
    I found it VERY difficult to work with. It is sitting in the corner of my shop. I don't
    want to sell it because I don't really know that Timetal is.

Timetal is a trade name for a particular vendor's titanium. Without more of the coding id info, it's not worth much more than scrap value as there are at least 23 alloys and more than a dozen grades and heat treats with the Timetale name.

Titanium

After some further research I found that my original number for the themal conductivity of titanium was out to lunch. The reference I had was rather old and apparently just plain wrong. The thermal conductivity of 304 stainless steel and com'l. pure titanium are roughly equal. The thermal conductivity of 6AL-4V titanium is quite a bit less, less than 1/2 the other materials. In any case thermal conductivity is not going to be the most compelling argument for using titanium, rather weight savings will be.

Interestingly, if you Google titanium thermal conductivity you will find that there is not exactly universal agreement on what the exact number should be, which is further complicated by the fact that it is different at different temperatures.

Dave Prizio

Eric:

Did you get my PM?
    Bill