Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stall Horn

Stall Horn

I was just wondering, do people ever put stall horns in a homebuilt aircraft?

If so is there a unit available for experimental aircraft or do you steal one from a certified design?

Hi Mike,

There's an article available online by Tony Bingelis that discusses stall warning devices. It's at: http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuil...20Devices.html . But since plans and kits don't usually consider the location of such a flipper, most homebuilders aren't anxious to start cutting holes on a trial-and-error basis in the leading edges of their wings. Of course since Tony wrote that in 1983, AOA sensors have come along that are in reach of homebuilders. The real trick of installing a switch-activated stall warning horn is where to locate the little flipper.

Interesting article. I'm gonna have to think about this some, or at least wait until I see how the thing flies.

Nothing scares the hell out of me like a loud honking stall horn going off right as I'm touching down!

How this ever came to be accepted as a safety device is just weird.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Nothing scares the hell out of me like a loud honking stall horn going off right as I'm touching down!

How this ever came to be accepted as a safety device is just weird.
    Because not all pilots are equally skilled. Also, not all pilots fly their plane into a stall upon landing.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

[Tailwheel]

True, wheel landings do require a little more power.

[/Tailwheel]

Every landing requires one to achieve and then go lower than stall speed. I've got a couple of hours in a C172 and it always made me jump!

Flare
    HONK
    Bounce
    HONK
    Bounce
    HONK
    etc.

(And thanks for the vote of confidence, but you do realize that I managed to ground loop a trike, right?)

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Aoa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I was just wondering, do people ever put stall horns in a homebuilt aircraft?

If so is there a unit available for experimental aircraft or do you steal one from a certified design?
    AOA systems are popular with many homebuilders, including me. Like many builders, I chose the AOA Sport largely because it does not have a draggy vane or flipper that extends into the airstream and as such, the system can be easily retrofitted into a completed aircraft without the necessity of cutting holes in the airframe. I am such a believer of AOA that I mounted its LED array in the instrument panel of my RV-6A and atop the instrument panel in my -8. In addition to its color coded LED array that provides constant visual cues, if you approach a stall a firm voice warns loud and clear through the headsets...."ANGLE, ANGLE, PUSH!" Here is a link for more information: http://www.advanced-flight-systems.c...s/AOA/aoa.html

Last edited by Rick Galati; 02-17-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: provide link

Thanks Rick, that looks like it may be an easier solution.

I had an AOA in my RV as well. The one I used was a kit from a guy named Kelly Meiste. Worked great!

Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

It also "T'd" to the EFIS...
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575