View Poll Results: What GPS are you flying?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPad - Wing-X

3 4.35%
  • iPad - ForeFlight

8 11.59%
  • Adventure Pilot - iFly 700

3 4.35%
  • PC Based – Mountain Scope or Seattle Av Voyager

1 1.45%
  • Anywhere Map

5 7.25%
  • Garmin – Aera 500 Series

3 4.35%
  • Garmin – GPSMAP 695/6 or Aera 795/6

6 8.70%
  • Garmin – 395/6 or 495/6

8 11.59%
  • Other GPS not listed above

29 42.03%
  • None – I don’t use a GPS

3 4.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What GPS are you guys flying?

What GPS are you guys flying?

What GPS, if any, is everybody flying these days? I thought if we used a thread to share our experience with our GPS’s it might help others that are in the market. Unfortunately the poll option is limited to 10 items. I tried to populate the list with the GPS’s that I thought would be the most widely used for ‘Experimental’ or small private planes.

In the past few years I have evolved from running PC Avionics “Mountain Scope” on a NetBook, then to “ForeFlight” on an iPad. After my “ForeFlight” subscription ran out, I swapped to "Wing-X" because I thought if offered far more options for the money. I like all three of these GPS programs and they all do a great job. I still keep my NetBook with “Mountain Scope” in my plane as a backup. So far the iPad has been awesome. There is no boot-up time like I experience with the NetBook. Just hit the button and it is on and ready to go. I have the iPad mounted in my Cherokee on a RAM yoke mount which is so much better than having the NetBook in my lap or passenger seat. I think the iPad running Wing-X has got to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck GPS options out there considering all that it will do. Since my plane has a ceiling shading the iPad, I haven’t had the problems seeing the screen that some people with bubble canopies experience.

So what GPS are you guys flying and how do you like it?

I'm opting for the solar powered wireless single scale collapseable graphical representation of the Earth as viewed from above navigational assistance device.

It's kind of expensive with each (roughly) semi-annual update costing about ten bucks, but replacements should I lose the aid are freely available and cost the same as the updates.

Nearest airport, frequencies, land marks and other features are easy to access on it, and when used with built in onboard instrumentation that every aircraft from pre-war Cubs to a Gulfstream V even the largest cross-country trip can be made accurately.

Cons include the lack of a dedicated manual (the quick guide attached is more of just a legend of symbols and their meanings) and a moderate learning curve in getting proficient at it.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

250/430/496, im gps'd out. Name:  img2294a.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  62.1 KB
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

Name:  IMG_2678.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  87.8 KB

My AnywhereMap ATC - working fine since OSH 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    It's kind of expensive with each (roughly) semi-annual update costing about ten bucks, but replacements should I lose the aid are freely available and cost the same as the updates.
    Alabama quit giving out free charts?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q="alabama dot" "aeronautical chart"&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww.archives.state.al.us%2Fofficials%2Fr das%2Fdot.pdf&ei=0dfRTpbaBoLBtgfbi92rDQ&usg=AFQjCN FAA0OV22ZlbEBM5yryUziPjkI5gg&cad=rja

I'll have to check that out!

Anybody using the iFly? I like the idea of a GPS that uses the backdrop of a sectional...
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Garmin GPS 12XL. It's a hiking GPS, dating from about ten years ago. The internal memory battery is pretty week, but I still use the unit.
    Name:  fbgps.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  41.7 KB

Yes, I'm using the iFly.
    I have an older Lowrance 2000c wired up to my Trio wingleveler/autopilot.
    Given their exit from the market several years ago I wanted a backup that could take over for it eventually.
    I have them both positioned next to each other at the left edge of the panel on mounts.
    I haven't wired the iFly to the wingleveler yet, I'm still testdriving it.
    I like the amount of information and the intuitive menu and the touchscreen.
    I fly in a highwing with a shaded cabin, however the screen glare makes it almost unusable at times.
    By contrast the Lowrance is readable at all times.
    I had to learn to never wear light colored shirts, only blue or black to hold the glare down.
    I added a glareshield to the gps too.
    I flew from Portland to Reno for the Air races in September.
    The unit performed well and having the firefighting TFR's right on the screen was great.
    After my one year chart subscription is up I'll reassess and might put it on Ebay.
    mdharfst

GARMIN GNS 250XL and Foreflight

My plane is equipped with a GNS 250XL however, I am a big Foreflight fan. Great Ipad app!

Just the one:
    Name:  2011-10-11_13-50-11_298.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  97.1 KB
    With a 600C in the back seat.