Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you fly your plane on weekend trips?

Do you fly your plane on weekend trips?

If you fly your plane regularly on day and weekend trips fantastic! Share some of your favorite destinations. If not, what are some of the things that prevent you from using your GA aircraft for day and weekend getaways?

I fly to and stay over the weekend to several events each year.However, not in a PLANE.The aircraft I use is an autogyro.I always make sure there is a rental car available so that if the weather changes I have a way to get back home and then to work on Monday. .
    "The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..
    You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com

The largest percentage of my flying is weekend trips, mostly to visit family, in addition to a few fly-ins and airshows here and there. I'm flying over to visit my Mom tomorrow. My wife and I are empty nesters and the plane is great for going to see the kids.

There are also some neat places in my area to fly. Callaway Gardens, St Simons Island, Jekyll Island, Charleston SC, and Hilton Head Island are all great places to fly for day or weekend trips.

Unfortunate that there has not been much interest in this topic. I personally think it is an excellent one. An aspect which could lead to an even broader response is that it could include not only weekend but also extended trips which may even be VFR pilots going somewhere, waiting out the weather and carrying on to secondary destinations. Those with longer range aircraft and instrument capabilities surely can expound on some interesting spots as well. I watch a weekly free E-mail announcement designed for the Northeast which is called "Fun Places to Fly". It is, of course, mostly Fly-in Breakfasts etc., but what's wrong with a good pancake now and then.

One really interesting thing which I found on the internet last night was a video promoting visiting the Bahamas with nothing more than a Sport Pilot ticket and Airplane ! It covered the preparation, documentation and a few tid-bits on launching off on your first visit to the islands. It was put together by one of the flight schools located near Merritt Island Fla.

Who Says, You Can't go Back?

Quote Originally Posted by ezoromski View Post
    If you fly your plane regularly on day and weekend trips fantastic! Share some of your favorite destinations. If not, what are some of the things that prevent you from using your GA aircraft for day and weekend getaways?
    I have this video posted on the video section of the forums under hangar talk, but if you have nnot seen it, you may find this recounting of a very special trip I took with the Mustang ll some years ago. Quite a few that is!
    Here's a link.

We go somewhere every chance we get. I try to take a lot of long weekend trips throughout the year, and since we've had the airplane, we can go somewhere on Holiday weekends without having to deal with the traffic. I'm like a 16 yr old with his first car when it comes to the airplane. Sometimes we pull out a chart, pick a spot and find out what there is to do there.
    This area (S Ca) has a lot of fun places within a few hours flight. Over Christmas week we went up to the N coast and the giant redwoods.
    We've been to Vegas a few times ( just over 2 hrs), Sacramento and the gold country area, San Francisco area.
    Just bought a house on the Central coast, so we fly to Santa Maria a lot.

On another note, I like this site now. The old one was so slow, I gave up on it.
    Last edited by n1acguy; 01-09-2012 at 12:10 AM.

Here are images from one of my more memorable weekend trips (turned into a 4-day weekend due to having to wait for weather). Across the Rockies in a 100 horse Champ from Denver to Moab and back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlunde/...250947/detail/

Back when I had my T-Craft I used to fly it fairly regularly from NJ to visit my parents in upstate NY... 1½ hours flying time vs. 2½ hours by car, more if there was traffic. I also made occasional business trips to Maryland and Pennsylvania. Weather is the biggest reason not to fly, of course, with ground transportation being the other biggie... my father and I had a routine, I'd buzz the house on the way over, about a half hour drive from the airport, and by the time I landed and tied down he'd be there to pick me up.

We frequently use the plane for weekend trips. I have a vacation place on a private strip in NC on Lake Norman and we're back and forth there every other weekend practically.
    Whether we go on longer trips depends on the distance and how badly we need to be there. We regularly head up to Boston and Nashville on weekend trips.

Driving from Ase to Den is about 4 hours, 4 1/2 if going to Bouder. It's :50 min flying in my Bonanza.
    I have flown to Texas, Santa Fe, and almost every year to Oshkosh.
    I used to own a Porsche and liked to drive. I hate to drive long distances now. I really enjoy flying around and seeing our country, at least when the weather is good. I have also enjoyed flying in Canada.
    For long cross country trips where time is important or cost is a big factor I usually use Southwest Airlines. A great safety record, good service and often cheaper than flying my plane. I do hate going through TSA though. You get a choice between their version of the Sandusky embrace or the x ray radiation .

As for instrument flying, it has been about less than 1% of all my flight time. I really don't think flying inside a cloud in the mountains where I live makes good sense, especially since while I stay IFR current, doesn't mean I am real good at it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-10-2012 at 12:20 PM.