Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen -- ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC 1ST 100 members.

Goggles Ladies and Gentlemen -- ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC 1ST 100 members.

I'm located in Delmar Delaware and a few years back, 1971 in fact, I was attending A&P school in Pittsbugh (PIA) and had just joined EAA plus was active with EAA chapter 45. In one days mail I recieved a flyer mentioning a new division called the "Antique and classic Division".

So, after some consideration and being a kid in school with limted funds. I went for the added dues and joined.

Well, a lot of time has passed over the horizon and I still belong and try to stay actively engaged in the old plane movement.

SO, now many years later. My EAA no. is 65226 and my Vintage Aircraft member number is 58.

Question: Who else is out there within the ranks with a number for VAA under 100?

My latest aircraft's a Cessna 140 and I serve as an EAA Maint Designee at large.

Later, George in Delaware
    Dope and Fabric Guy

I didn't start flying until I was 65 or so, so my EAA number is much higher than yours, but my airplane came off the assembly line in 1939 with Serial Number L-3769. One engine change during that 73 years and still flying fine.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Rosie

Your not too far from me here in Delaware.

Sounds like you have a cool plane. I used to own a Fairchild 24 who's serial number was 58, the same as my VAA memership number.

Enjoy your plane. My Cessna 140's the same year as me, 1947

I'm hoping to find out who of the first 100 EAA Antique&Clasic Division members are still out there and active.
    Last edited by george r. garrison vaa 58; 01-08-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Dope and Fabric Guy

Banned
    huhuuhu so sad right now I can't join the class.....huhuhuhu

My VAA number is in the 20000's and my EAA is in the 400,000's. I didn't join until 1992 when I first attended Oshkosh.

Hi George!
    Thanks for the post. As a matter of fact, one of our current office projects is to reconcile some of the older records First done on an accounting ledger and then within the EAA's index card system) for the Division to accurately pin down when the first 200 members joined.
    If you know when you joined in 1971, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm guessing it would have been very late in the year, or perhaps early in 1972.

H.G. - I came out of the Navy in fall of 1971, and started A&P school in Pittsburg PIA around the end of the year, so I must have joined EAA around that time. I belonged to Chapter 45 in Pitt also. Soon after joining EAA, I joined the Antique & Classic Division of the EAA. I left Pitt in '73 and worked for Aircrafters Inc. in Rehoboth Beach Delaware, bought out the shop and later bought out the airport and operated as Garrison Aviation, Inc. until 1985

If I find more info I'll let you know. Thanks for responding.

To most people it probably sounds goofy to be concerned who the first 100 where, but since I'm one of them, I thought it would be neat to know.
    Last edited by george r. garrison vaa 58; 01-15-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Dope and Fabric Guy

Early Antique/Classic Division members

Hi, H. G. --

In 1972 a group of us formed Antique/Classic Chapter 2 in Houston, which we named Houston Antique Flyers. There were about 20 of us, all EAA members but mostly not members of the new Division. So we had about 15 consecutive A/C membership numbers, mine being 249.

The Chapter is still active, although my VAA dues are no longer current. Have attended Oshkosh every year since 1971, and spend most of my time in the Vintage area. Did a lot of volunteering over the years, but these days I'm just a spectator.

See you in about 24 weeks...

Blue skies,

Ken Dwight
    EAA 61196 - Lifetime
    Century Club #92

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Frautschy View Post
    Hi George!
    Thanks for the post. As a matter of fact, one of our current office projects is to reconcile some of the older records First done on an accounting ledger and then within the EAA's index card system) for the Division to accurately pin down when the first 200 members joined.
    If you know when you joined in 1971, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm guessing it would have been very late in the year, or perhaps early in 1972.