Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Flying Minimum Age?

Solo Flying Minimum Age?

I am 13 and have a passion for flying. I really like aviation, and would like to earn my private license. However, can I do my solo at 13? How old do you have to be to do your solo?

14 in gliders, 16 in airplanes.

That doesn't make sense, because a guy recieved both his Private and IFR on his 14th birthday! And the minimum age to get a license is 14, is it not?

Thanks, though, for your input

minimum age to get your certificate is 16 in gliders, 17 in airplanes. don't believe me read the FARs

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    The "guy" you reference is fictional as you have to have 200 hours as a private pilot before you can be an instrument pilot. Here is the text from FAR 61.103 on basic requirements:
    Sec. 61.103

Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:
    (a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.
    (b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.
    (c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
    (d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
    (1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
    (2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.
    (e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part.
    (f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
    (1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
    (2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.
    (g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.
    (h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.
    (i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.
    [(j) Hold a U.S. student pilot certificate, sport pilot certificate, or recreational pilot certificate.]

Sec. 61.83

Eligibility requirements for student pilots.

To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, an applicant must:
    (a) Be at least 16 years of age for other than the operation of a glider or balloon.
    (b) Be at least 14 years of age for the operation of a glider or balloon.
    (c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 12-15-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Even though you can't be a student pilot and solo until you are 16, there is nothing wrong with flying in the right seat and learning everything you can in the mean time.

Have been on the Young Eagles website or done a YE flight yet? If you do the flight, you can sign up for the Sportys ground school, which should keep you busy for a wee bit

The person you refer to as having got their license at 14 years of age has all the makings of being a great pilot - the ability to BS & tell very tall stories

Good luck with your passion.

Thanks Janet. I appreciate all your guys help

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    The "guy" you reference is fictional as you have to have 200 hours as a private pilot before you can be an instrument pilot. Here is the text from FAR 61.103 on basic requirements:
    Sec. 61.103

Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:
    (a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.
    (b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.
    (d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
    (1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
    (2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.
    (e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part.
    (f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
    (1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
    (2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.
    (g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.
    (h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.
    (i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.
    [(j) Hold a U.S. student pilot certificate, sport pilot certificate, or recreational pilot certificate.]

Sec. 61.83

Eligibility requirements for student pilots.

To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, an applicant must:
    (a) Be at least 16 years of age for other than the operation of a glider or balloon.
    (b) Be at least 14 years of age for the operation of a glider or balloon.
    Ummmm - where's it say you need 200 hours as a private pilot to get your instrument rating? I won't quote all of 61.65, but the only time requirement I see is the 50 hours cross country experience as pilot-in-command. Since solo time is accepted as PIC, it's theoretically possible for someone to get their private certificate on their 17th birthday, assuming they'd been signed off for all those solo flights, and turn right around on the same day and take the instrument practical to get their instrument rating. One DPE I spoke to said he'd enjoy that type of challenge.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.