Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drunk Pilot... ugh this is not the PR GA needs.

Thumbs Down Drunk Pilot... ugh this is not the PR GA needs.

Just saw this on WBAY News in Green Bay. http://www.wbay.com/story/16509896/2...s-was-drinking

The idea of drinking and getting into an airplane is just so beyond crazy to me.

What is the penality for something like this? Will the FAA pull his license? I agree that was really foolish and not the publicity that GA needs.

Banned
    Drinking and flying is not humourous and I hope the police, courts and the FAA throw the book at him, but you have to admit his precautionary landing, while not textbook, is novel, unique and a headscratcher. That picture of the plane in the tree will now become my personal image for the caption: Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous, but it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, neglect or incapacity.

but you have to admit his precautionary landing, while not textbook, is novel, unique and a headscratcher.
    The only thought I had was "The sad thing is he probably couldn't have done that "nice" of a job if he had been sober". But in all seriousness, I'm with Floats on this one: let's throw the book at this guy.

If i was going to try to land in a tree, (not being a bird), I think I might need a good stiff drink or two before trying it.
    What kind of plane was this?

Oh, and after landing in the tree, he still had to climb down without falling. I wonder what he thought when he woke up the next morning, maybe, man that was some dream I had.

He will undoubtledly be suspended for some time.But then the FAA often requires some additional flight training.
    I wonder how they will do this. Do they have anyone who is more skilled at tree landings than he is, or more current?
    And beside the off field landing, he was pretty good at short field landing also, hardly any rollout.

And maybe the FAA can look at this in the best light and give him a 2nd chance? If he can successfullly demonstrate a short field take off from that location, they'll call it good and forget the whole thing.

Another conversation that I'd like to hear is when he calls up a good aviation attorney to represent him and he explains what the case is all about. hey, any good lawyer likes a challenge.

Speaking of lawyers and challenges, there is a case in the news now. That French diplomat, Straus-Kahn , is facing a charge of consorting with prostitutes. ( I didn't know the French were so stuffy, but apparently they are).
    His lawyer's defense: how could the man know these ladies were pros, since they were not dressed like ones, in fact all the ladies at this party were not dressed at all.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-13-2012 at 11:10 AM.

According to the FAA registry, it's a 1969 vintage Cessna 150J.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Banned
    That French diplomat, Sarkosi or whatever, is facing a charge of consorting with prostitutes.

Do not want to intentionally vear away from this thread but Bill, I must set the record factually correct. That Frenchman is neither a diplomat nor named Sarkosi. Sarkosi is the President of France. The person you're mentioning is the former disgraced head of the International Monetary Fund, Dominque Straus-Kahn, the same person who was charged and later acquitted of raping the New York hotel maid last year.

He will undoubtledly be suspended for some time.
    So will his plane!

So the farmer who's trees the guy flew into is also a pilot. Watch there be no hurry (90 days) to take the plane down - at which time it belongs to him!

(okay, I know the NTSB will cart the thing off, but it's a nice thought)
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    If i was going to try to land in a tree, (not being a bird), I think I might need a good stiff drink or two before trying it.
    What kind of plane was this?

Oh, and after landing in the tree, he still had to climb down without falling. I wonder what he thought when he woke up the next morning, maybe, man that was some dream I had.

He will undoubtledly be suspended for some time.But then the FAA often requires some additional flight training.
    I wonder how they will do this. Do they have anyone who is more skilled at tree landings than he is, or more current?
    And beside the off field landing, he was pretty good at short field landing also, hardly any rollout.

And maybe the FAA can look at this in the best light and give him a 2nd chance? If he can successfullly demonstrate a short field take off from that location, they'll call it good and forget the whole thing.

Another conversation that I'd like to hear is when he calls up a good aviation attorney to represent him and he explains what the case is all about. hey, any good lawyer likes a challenge.

Speaking of lawyers and challenges, there is a case in the news now. That French diplomat, Straus-Kahn , is facing a charge of consorting with prostitutes. ( I didn't know the French were so stuffy, but apparently they are).
    His lawyer's defense: how could the man know these ladies were pros, since they were not dressed like ones, in fact all the ladies at this party were not dressed at all.
    Bill - I bet he had a class 3 medical - so he must have been safe!

Rockwood, I don't know where you have gotten the idea that EAA "sponsor and promote drunk flying in an unsafe manner". I have been an EAA member almost 30 years and I have never heard of seen then do such a thing.
    Maybe you just saw a news story about the event.