Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you fly your plane on weekend trips?

Goggles Memories

As the old song goes "Memories are made of this" (I'm showing my age here.) A great set of photos you have of that trip and I can only imagine the memories that trip generated for you. Just about every time I fly, I am made aware of the amazing privelages we enjoy as flyers. It's a wonderful world looking down from on high. Happy flying to you and thanks for sharing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by R Lunde View Post
    Here are images from one of my more memorable weekend trips (turned into a 4-day weekend due to having to wait for weather). Across the Rockies in a 100 horse Champ from Denver to Moab and back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlunde/...250947/detail/

Well yes, that's what it's for....

We just sold our beloved Maule after 15 years and 1500 hours of weekend flying. For 6 or 7 years it flew practically every weekend from Durham to Charlotte NC to see friends and boat around Lake Norman (14A in this case). Other destinations include Annapolis MD, the NC beaches, Saratoga Springs NY, Danville VA, Princeton NJ, Pittsburgh PA, and lots of places in FL.We don't often fly to tourist or sightseeing locations but rather fly to see friends, family, or an occasional resort vacation. Most often the trips are just for the (long) weekend. We find ourselves looking for reasons to travel (and rarely entertain). Living on an airport makes justification easier. Getting the instrument rating makes schedules easier to keep. The fact that we drive 18 and 10 Year old cars is not a coincidence.We've done a lot less flying the past 2 or 3 years while we completed an RV10. The challenge is finding new missions to fly now that we're back in traveling mode. NYC, PA, and Key West so far .... We'll see.Personal flight in your own aircraft is a fantastic thing to be able to do... Doing it in a plane you built just makes it sweeter.

When I had my Cherokee 140, 1997-80, I flew at least every three weeks. At three weeks, I would not take anyone up until I flew the pattern and practiced radio work. I always wanted my flying skills to be as sharp as possible and each trip be a dull and predictable as possible . . . this made dealing with the unpredicatable so much easier. Now that I have a plane to rebuild, I fly when I close my eyes or I'm in the shed with tools in my hand or working out how I'm going to make this plane better. - Bob Wilson