Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yet another mess from the (not)Friendly Aviation Agency

Quote Originally Posted by knussear View Post
    These are operated a "training flights" as trikes are one of the last of the classes of aircraft for which there is no commercial certification. We really need a group like EAA, or AOPA to help us get these aircraft included as the rest of them are.
    Trikes nowadays are either single seat ultralight, or LSA like any other LSA airplane. But yes, I guess sightseeing flights would be operated as a "training flight", just like they were in the old days as 2 seat ultralights under a training exemption.

The fact that LSA cannot be used for rides is a major hindrance to new pilot starts.
    Any person can go to a gliderport and schedule a glider ride for payment. I suspect the Soaring Society of America would say this is a major draw for the sport of gliding and SSA protects this right to give rides, since rides probably outnumber instruction flights ten to one.

And any person can go to a local parachute jumpsite and pay for a dual person skydive "ride" because the United States Parachute Assoc. acquired this right for their members. (remember when George Bush Sr. went for a parachute ride on his 80th birthday)

But EAA has NOT secured this right to provide rides with Light Sport Aircraft. And without the option to give rides and sightseeing tours, almost no local operator can justify a new LSA solely for instruction only.

Bill, I think you might have had a couple rules mixed up for you regarding LSA's and who pilots them.

Manufactured LSA's are for all intents and purposes certified aircraft - they just are limited to two seats, gross weight, top cruising and stall speeds. They can be used for any purpose under VFR conditions (I don't know of any certified for IFR) by the holder of a Private or Commercial license, including the furtherance of a business.

LSA compliant certified aircraft, such as the Cub and the Champ, fall under these rules as well. When the owner of the Champ I fly (insert many three letter combinations) is at the stick there are a whole bunch of things the aircraft is allowed to do that are strictly verboten when I'm PIC, as I hold a SPL.

Experimental aircraft that fall under LSA compliance have different restrictions, of course.

Restrictions often come at the pilot level. For example, as a Sport Pilot I can give rides (have a passenger) all the VFR day long so long as said passenger doesn't pay one penny over half of the gas and it's not part of the furtherance of a business. I also can't do charity flights, or tow a banner.

That was the crux of the matter - the pilots had Sport tickets and were getting paid to fly, and needed an exemption from the rule.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Bill, I think you might have had a couple rules mixed up for you regarding LSA's and who pilots them.

Manufactured LSA's are for all intents and purposes certified aircraft - they just are limited to two seats, gross weight, top cruising and stall speeds. They can be used for any purpose under VFR conditions (I don't know of any certified for IFR) by the holder of a Private or Commercial license, including the furtherance of a business.

LSA are not FAA type certificated (they are self- complied to a consensus standard) and not to be used for hire.
    see post #28

Frank is still right - to a certain extent. An SPL can GIVE rides in an LSA he/she just can't SELL rides.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Sure, anyone can give rides for free. But this thread is about getting paid or not.
    Since getting paid for rides in an LSA is not approved, very few local airport operators will sell their C-150 or C-172 and replace it with a SPECIAL LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT (SLSA) because they cannot give sightseeing tours, photo flights, etc.

The result is my local airport operator and most others do not offer any LSA to rent. This is a problem.

Even a person with a FAA commercial certificate cannot fly for hire in a SLSA, so why would any FBO buy one?

[QUOTE=Bill Berson;9141]Sure, anyone can give rides for free. But this thread is about getting paid or not.
    Since getting paid for rides in an LSA is not approved, very few local airport operators will sell their C-150 or C-172 and replace it with a SPECIAL LIGHT SPORT AIRCRAFT (SLSA) because they cannot give sightseeing tours, photo flights, etc.

The result is my local airport operator and most others do not offer any LSA to rent. This is a problem.

Even a person with a FAA commercial certificate cannot fly for hire in a SLSA, so why would any FBO buy one?[/QUOTE]

To provide LSA flight training. Lots of them in my area....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I don't think that legal fine point would deter an FBO as much as the price difference, Who's going to sell an older C-150 for $50k and then pay $130k for a new LSA; unless of course the new plane with good paint and fancy computers brings in new customers.
    We used to have two 172a at a school, one had a old old engine, but good paint, the other had old paint, but good radios and a fresh OH engine.
    The better plane with the lesser paint mostly sat while the other got rented.
    The school or fbo can easily give a ride as an introductory lesson, thus both staying within the FARs and giving the renter more for his money also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Who's going to sell an older C-150 for $50k
    Yeah, just to answer that part of the question for 'ya, no one is going to buy a C-150 for $50k.

C-150s are selling for around $20k right now, with many less than that and a few for more. There are none sold for over $30k unless they have something unique, like a 150 HP engine or something, and even those are selling for less than $50k.

It does make an economical way to get into owning your own plane, though.