Thread: USMC Paint Schemes

Question USMC Paint Schemes

I looking for the following manual to use as a refernence to paint a home built aircraft in a military paint scheme.

"MIL MIL-STD-2161 PAINT SCHEMES AND EXTERIOR MARKINGS FOR U.S. NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AIRCRAFT, Military Specifications and Standards dated 18-Apr-1985 / 275 pages".

There are some newer versions on the internet (which I have), but I would like to get a PDF copy of this editions. Does anyone have a copy of it?

Michael Aichele
    MGySgt USMC (Ret)
    Last edited by ikelee; 01-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.

MGySgt Aichele*,
    My first suggestion would be to talk to the Marine Corps library. http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/mc...s/default.aspx They would be the ones most likely to be able to provide you with your search if it is not available online. I did a quick look through all of the military reference manuals I have and have not been to find it.

*Having been Air Force myself, my first reaction is to say 'sir,' but I know how many USMC senior NCOs get irritated by that; that said I respect a Master Gunnery Sergeant more than I do most Air Force Generals.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words and yes I would get irritated for being called sir. Ha! Ha! Thank you for your service in the Air Force! I tried all the online site I can find including the Marine Corps library, but haven't had any luck. I write a couple of letter to DOD, USMC & USN looking for the outdated manual, but haven't had any luch yet. I'm working with some pictures and the current editions of the manual and have gotten most of the information. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Not a problem. I will ask around and see if any of my contacts have a copy of it. Have you checked with the Library of Congress? They tend to have copies of almost anything you could ask.

Thank you for your service in the Air Force!
    I sat around a hospital in Maryland and didn't do anything of note. Not exactly a lot to be thanked for. LOL

Michael: The following link will get you to STANAG-3109 Rev 5. It's supposed to be the NATO approved version of MIL-STD-2161. It has a release date of June 86. You have to register to download a copy. If that doesn't give you what you need, I do know where to get MIL-STD-2161A in a downloadable form.

http://www.assistdocs.com/search/doc...h_method=BASIC

Hope this helps,
    Craig

If you go to this website, you will not need to register. https://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/ Just type "mil-std-2161" the the "Document ID" field and hit search. You should then be able to download Rev B.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMBugsy View Post
    If you go to this website, you will not need to register. https://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch/ Just type "mil-std-2161" the the "Document ID" field and hit search. You should then be able to download Rev B.
    The trouble is, he doesn't want Rev B or Rev A. He wants the original version, issued in the '80s.

Ron Wanttaja

Gunny,
    Two other possible sources would be the Natioanal Air and Space Museum or the National Museum of Naval Aviation. I was able to get help from both sources on a couple of questions.
    Tracker