Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EAA Safety Pledge?

I've never been to Oskosh, so I can't speak to it - for me the EAA is the local chapter and other members from different chapters, and I'll bear witness that safety is the thing that gets asked and talked about first and most about builds and flying.

Pitfalls and hazards are grist for the conversation mill, and not in a bragging sort of way. We tend to talk about when things could have gone badly and how we got out of them.

My personal limits are simple - if I wouldn't play on the golf course pulling a cart for 18 in the weather I won't fly over it in an airplane. Not to say that I haven't had weather turn to the yuck and put my chicken butt on the ground with all haste, mind you.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I can say this, safety is about the most talked about subject with my Chapter and most of the pilots I know,sometimes so much so I wonder if any of them ever actually enjoy flying. Never yet have I heard anyone bragging about doing anything against any regs or good sense. I guess I'm in good company. My personal safety minimums? They have to do with weather (like Frank's) but maybe not as extreme, I like a crosswind once in awhile to stay sharp. Being familiar with your airplane is a big factor for me that's why I gave up on other people's experimentals and am completing my own.

My personal safety minimums? They have to do with weather (like Frank's) but maybe not as extreme, I like a crosswind once in awhile to stay sharp. Being familiar with your airplane is a big factor for me that's why I gave up on other people's experimentals and am completing my own.
    Mine are a little more encompassing of IFR operations. Basically:
    -Nothing within 30 miles of any sort of convective activity
    -No approaches that are below 100 feet ABOVE the published minima (single pilot IFR operations)
    -No approaches "just to take a look" (I know some GA pilots who like to shoot an approach they know is below minima)
    -On the ground with no less than 1/4 of a tank even if it means stopping short of intended destination for fuel

Those are the big ones. I can give you the full list if anyone is interested.