Thread: Any Autogyro's similar to the Pitcairn

Any Autogyro's similar to the Pitcairn

A friend of mine has a new 110hp Rotec radial he is wanting to sell and I am considering it for my quest in building an autogyro. I have been searching for something that replicates the looks of the old Pitcairn type autogryros. The only one I can seem to find is the Little Wing Autogyro. I did find another named the Pitbull but seemed to read more bad than good about it so that one is not on the list of acceptible on my list.
    Anyone know of anything else out there that looks 'retro'? I guess I just loved the golden age type aircraft and since I will never be able to afford an original I may try my hand at a reproduction.
    I also have a Subaru engine that I could use. It is a Formula Power conversion that is still installed in a damaged Murphy Rebel. I think the radial would be a better look though. It may be a little heavy though since it is comparable to an O-320 in weight and HP. Probably best to just sell it and invest the funds in a flying machine.
    Last edited by WWhunter; 01-04-2012 at 09:04 AM.

The littlewing is by far your very best bet.The pitbull has design flaws.
    "The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a sport"— Orville Wright
    Tim OConnor, CFI, Commercial Pilot Rotorcraft, Sport Pilot Fixed Wing, FAA Advanced Ground Instructor:..
    You CAN Afford to FLY ! --> http://www.YouCanAffordToBeAPilot.com

I was also thinking about a Cierva or Pitcairn type replica with a Rotec radial, and had come to the same conclusion regarding the Pitbull and Little Wing. But that got to me wondering if the Little Wing geometries and components could be incorporated into a scaled-down version of a vintage autogyro. Has anyone else had any thoughts on the practicality of that?

Try this web site. http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/radial.html
    Ron regularly flys out of North Little Rock airport and his own private strip. When he is not building autogyros he is an instructor at Pulaski Aerospace Technology Center, North Little Rock

Ron Davis
    wb5tgf@gmail.com

The Little Wing is a proven design, and a very good one at that! There's actually a project for sale on barnstormers right now: http://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?id=570283

IF I had the money, I'd snatch it up myself. The Rotec is a perfect match for it.

Zack

The pitbull has design flaws
    I will agree with you there but I'll also point out that I've yet to find an autogyro or gyrocopter that doesn't have some. Then again, the same could be honestly be said for most aircraft. There is always room for improvement even on "proven" designs.

Autogyro

Since the Little Wing has been mentioned several times and you are interested in retro I thought I would mention that Ron had a beautiful Little Wing with a Rotec engine down on the Farm at Oshkosh several years ago it was also featured in the Rotec engine booth. It was a beautiful sight to see, and hear flying. Ron is a very nice person to deal with and I doubt you will find many who know more about tractor gyros than Ron. If you want a project that looks and feels and sounds vintage the Little Wing is awinner