Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multi-function Metal Machines

Quote Originally Posted by messydeer View Post

I cut the thinner stuff with snips and 1/8" angle extrusion with a hacksaw or bandsaw. For longer pieces of flat 025 and 032, like the skins, I used an Olfa P800 razor blade and a straight edge.

Dan
    I've heard of others using the Olfa knife on aluminum, but it's been 6061 (Zenith and Sonex builders). My plane is primarily 2024. Is it tough enough for that material, you think?
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 01-03-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    Slip roll? Slip roll! Don't talk to me about a slip roll! That's just wasted money right there. May be useful for an airplane part somewhere, but not on my airplane. That's just money collecting dust that you can't use for more Clecoes...
    The machine intrigued me more for the combination of sheer and brake more than anything. But I can see where its usefulness is pretty limited, given its capacity (or lack thereof).

The thing that kills me about cutting off pre-bent material (a chunk out of a piece of angle) is the sharp edges at the corner/bend. Granted, that's what a file and scotchbright is for, I reckon. But I imagine it's less time consuming to bend up a dozen or two really long pieces and cut them off versus several hundred short ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
    The machine intrigued me more for the combination of sheer and brake more than anything. But I can see where its usefulness is pretty limited, given its capacity (or lack thereof).

The thing that kills me about cutting off pre-bent material (a chunk out of a piece of angle) is the sharp edges at the corner/bend. Granted, that's what a file and scotchbright is for, I reckon. But I imagine it's less time consuming to bend up a dozen or two really long pieces and cut them off versus several hundred short ones!
    The three way machine will do the common angle bracket easily you can do many hundreds of them a hour.

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    I have a 4' brake, shear, and a 3-in-1 in my shop. The 3-in-1 is a 30" unit from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch...roll-5907.html Grizzly probably has the same unit with a different coat of paint and label.

I do a lot of fabricating for aircraft and I use the 3-in-1 a lot more - mostly the shear & vertical brake - than any of the others for fabricating small parts. Handy unit once it's set up, adjusted, and operating properly.

The vertical brake and removable "teeth" certainly come in handy, but, as stated in an earlier post, you'll need to do a fair amount of deburring/polishing/adjusting to get it to where it needs to be. You'll also want to fabricate aluminum angle strips of various thicknesses to get different radii and to use as protectors.

I'm going to buy a 40" 3-in-1 to supplement the 30" one of these days...

Tom
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
    I have a 4' brake, shear, and a 3-in-1 in my shop. The 3-in-1 is a 30" unit from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/30-inch...roll-5907.html Grizzly probably has the same unit with a different coat of paint and label.

I do a lot of fabricating for aircraft and I use the 3-in-1 a lot more - mostly the shear & vertical brake - than any of the others for fabricating small parts. Handy unit once it's set up, adjusted, and operating properly.

The vertical brake and removable "teeth" certainly come in handy, but, as stated in an earlier post, you'll need to do a fair amount of deburring/polishing/adjusting to get it to where it needs to be. You'll also want to fabricate aluminum angle strips of various thicknesses to get different radii and to use as protectors.

I'm going to buy a 40" 3-in-1 to supplement the 30" one of these days...

Tom
    You can also fabricate dies for dimpling, and riveting, punching holes, and cutting internal shapes. and other stuff like a small press.

http://www.eastwood.com/throatless-shear.html

This is SO much easier than tin snips...
    between this, a 30" break and a large hammer I haven't found anything I couldn't tackle in my limited experience...

Chris

When you consider how many times you will buy a full 4X8 foot sheet of metal and try to cut it down into usable pieces you find the 8 foot break and sheer will not be used much. Most will buy material from stores like http://www.airpartsinc.com/ and Aircraft Spruce, and buy usable sizes that will in most cases ship cheaper and fit the 3 in 1 machines. when you are really in a bind to get big piece cut you can always use a good 2X4 Straight edge and a router, with a laminate trimmer bit in it.