Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Aviation Art,My way

Adding another "T" here.

This area is to be completely re-designed a la Ken Hamilton. :-[ ]

Additions to the other backyard will be mostly signs of the domestic life of your average Victorian.Maybe a garden shed with tools,flower boxes etc as I want to keep the contrast between your average guy and a craftsman/artist who's priorities lie somewhere else.
    Maybe the airplane yard is owned by a couple of brothers which is why it completely lacks the feminine touch.

I will be stealing lots of ideas from here ! Thanks Ken. @

A garage in a cardboard box.This looks like simple,cheap and easy way to do it.

Ken's method is of course the proper way to go about it but I thought that I would like to try something different.I am not looking for perfection here as this structure will be built as a roughly constructed add on.Once the wood sheathing is on both inside and out none of the original cardboard will be visible anyway.I plan to use my standard gray barn siding look as a finish.

What would an early EAA'er have in his backyard or garage/shop? This is a question that I ask myself just about every day.Mostly handtools of course and maybe a lot of junk (however one man's junk is another man's treasure, I guess).
    I also wonder how many of these projects actually got finished ? Did any of them actually get off the ground ?.There were a lot of good woodworkers around in those days so that would not have been a problem. Good wood was also readily available but when it came to laying out some real money like for engines,undercarriages,tanks etc..(and having the skills to build them)I am sure many would have stalled at this point.
    Last edited by JohnReid; 03-09-2012 at 07:08 AM.

I am planning a flat roof and a dirt floor.The walls will be insulated with newspaper and the windows will have shutters only.I will install a chimney on the roof with piping leading into the inner garage.
    At this point I can cut the whole thing in half and finish the interior walls,later they can be re-joined using a gusset plate behind the beams.The doors and windows will give lots of opportunity for the viewer to look inside.
    At this point the structure has been lacquered both inside and out and black gesso has been applied.The exterior will be a gray barn wood slats.