Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Aviation Art,My way

I will be putting aside the Bleriot diorama for awhile now and will be going back to rework the diorama,The Backyard Flyer.The new title for this rework will be "The Homecoming".

I have decided that the diorama now formally called "The Road Taken" really needs a rework,so now it is back to the drawing board once again.
    After being away from it awhile I now realize that it could be far better with a little change in theme.I mainly do dioramas for kids and the young at heart, as it is now the story is just too subtle and a little depressing for the older folks and the kids may not even get it at all.
    The revised diorama will now be called "The Homecoming" in honor of Normal Rockwell's great painting .This is where I first got the idea for the storyline for this diorama but instead of a returning youth my main character will be older .
    The general composition will remain the same,the backyard flyer idea that I got from a old photograph.
    The original plan was to have the main story evolving around the returning airman and his unfinished airplane(a very early EAA'r you might say)and I deliberately played down the rest thinking that anything more may detract the viewers attention away from what I was trying to get across.Well I now realize that this idea has left vast open spaces with really not much of anything in them.In other words it lacks interesting detail which was really was the strength of my previous dioramas.

Thanks Shep !

Day 1 of probably 6 months or more of adding more detail to this revised diorama.I decided to start with a 1912 Model T modification from one seat to two.

Where I am now!

New military car will be added here ,note new dog.

At the end of the driveway I plan on adding a model T truck of my own design carrying car parts.I will open the garage doors so that I can place it half in and half out.This area will now become a working business enterprise.Ford sold model T chassis only so you could build what you want on it.In the early years motor car clubs and flying clubs were often under the same roof of interest by their members.

The original idea !

Homecoming GI . Original oil painting for post cover May26,1945.Collection Mrs. Ben Hibbs.