Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviation Art,My way

Please click on thumbnail to see the model under construction.

Model Sculpture,An Artistic Approach.
    I am planning something a little different.Something that I haven't seen anywhere before(at least not in the modeling world),something that has been bugging me for a long time and now maybe at age 71 I will finally finish it.
    About 15 years ago I modeled a full size Peregrine Falcon as a decorative art piece,lost interest and put it aside.There it has sat all this time in my studio just looking at me but I have never been able to bring myself to finish it ,until now.
    I can't draw worth a damn ( but I never went to art school either), so I can't draw you a picture of what I have in mind.
    What it will be is a culmination of all that I have learned over a lifetime of doing this stuff.
    I want to incorporate a 3D, 1/10th scale model airplane(Bleriot) and a full scale bird sculpture together into a storytelling composition.
    Last edited by JohnReid; 01-23-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Bleriot

John

I'm a metal builder,but the wooden ribs on the Bleriot are beautiful. I think they should be covered in Mylar rather than fabric just so the woodwork will show!

John Veale

A lot of planes are like that, particularly the Pioneer and WWI replicas!

Looking at the build photos of them it seems almost criminal to cover them to where the craftsmanship can't be seen!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

As you can see for yourself the model plans and the real aircraft wing are very different.Any resemblance of one to the another is only coincidental.Leaving out the lightening holes is only one of many areas of artistic license taken by the designers of this kit but for storytelling purposes it works out to be just fine with me.I am not looking for historical accuracy here but what I am really looking for is a general shape of the Bleriot type aircraft that can be used as a prop for my own artistic purposes.How many cardboard Spitfires have we seen over the years being blown up by a movies director ? Well this is somewhat the same in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    A lot of planes are like that, particularly the Pioneer and WWI replicas!

Looking at the build photos of them it seems almost criminal to cover them to where the craftsmanship can't be seen!
    Hi Frank ! I agree,in fact I may leave the fabric off all together and let the viewers imagination fill in the rest.But as I have already explained though the model's design leaves a lot to be desired.From normal viewing distance and with the airplane actually quite high off the museums floor this shouldn't be a problem ,however if it is I can always cover them.
    Last edited by JohnReid; 01-25-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cgaif View Post
    John

I'm a metal builder,but the wooden ribs on the Bleriot are beautiful. I think they should be covered in Mylar rather than fabric just so the woodwork will show!

John Veale
    Hi John ! I think that it what the manufacturer of this kit may have intended all along using the fabric to cover up the flaws in the plans(including the tail feathers). I still have this option open to me if need be.I am hoping that the fuselage assembly looks more like the real thing .In looking over the fuselage plans this does seem to be the case.
    Last edited by JohnReid; 01-25-2012 at 09:51 AM.

I know that some of you guys are model builders too.

Is diorama building for me ?

Here are a few thing to be considered.

"What to leave in and what to leave out" is a very important consideration. Not only from the standpoint of the pure number of objects in a diorama but also in the sense of what things your viewer notices and what he doesn't.
    Example: what I am working on right now the wings of the Bleriot.Your average viewer would never even notice that the lightening holes in the ribs are missing but they sure would notice if the wings were upside down.Things like the human face or human body language would be picked up right away as we are all experts on this but if he had a medal on his chest improperly placed or painted no one would care less except of course the "experts".In other words are you building your stuff for the competition model judges or for your average viewer or museum visitor.This is a very important consideration. It is also extremely important to know yourself .Would your temperament fit in with your diorama plans ?
    If you are a perfectionist and can't stand for a spot of dust on a shiny surface then I would stick to "stand alone" models as dioramas are usually a lot messier than that and more concessions(artistic license) usually have to be made in order to ever finish ,especially on a very large project.It is really all about knowing yourself and your audience and where and how you plan to put your stuff out there.
    Last edited by JohnReid; 01-25-2012 at 10:29 AM.

How far do I want to go with this ?

But before starting I think that you must ask yourself a few questions first.
    Will this be a piece that you are doing for yourself ? well then anything works as long as it pleases you. Or
    will your goal be a piece that will hold the interest of an audience or viewer as long as possible ?.Well then that changes everything.It can be as simple as adding a little weathering or leaving a cowl off an engine.The viewer will then fill in the rest.Not much of a storyline there but still it is more than a "factory fresh" example sitting in showcase.I am not criticizing those that prefer to build this way but it holds little interest for me or the average viewer.
    Next step up would be the simple vignette,un-cowled engine or bullet holes or weathering,or steps in the sand,ground or oil on the floor,some sign of human presence without having to do a figure.(sometimes it is even a more powerful story this way)
    The next step can be a little intimidating for some modelers,modifying or painting figures but it really doesn't have to be this way.Personally I am only an average painter of figures in the traditional sense.In fact I find that most of the professionally painted stuff a little overdone.Just avoid the bug eyed look and let the light and shadows work for you.In my case the viewer never gets close enough to see if the eyes are painted or not.Here is a little experiment you may want to try for yourself.Don't paint the eyes in at all but just leave shadows where the eyes would have been and most viewers brains will fill them in for you.It seems that human beings are so used to seeing eyes where they should be that the brain automatically fills them in for you, at a normal scale viewing distance.Where judges or nitpickers will actually pick up your work and look close up for flaws of course it wouldn't work.
    The next step would be a vignette or diorama of a neutral or landscape type setting.Something like a travel documentary.Nice to look at but....
    The best dioramas tell a story and need little explanation other than the title.The storyboard diorama is designed specifically to hold the viewers interest as long as possible. It can be hard to get right and nobody is successful all the time.What looks good on paper will probably have to be revised many times.
    A storyboard diorama puts you in the directors shoes except you are the lighting guy,carpenter, ,producer,costume gal etc.. I am sure you get what I mean.And you must accomplish your storytelling goals with no music,dialogue or movement of any kind,a pretty tall order that may even intimidate Spielberg a bit.

The next level of diorama building,in my opinion, is what I am attempting to do right now with my Bleriot/Falcon piece ,which is to mix not only the media aspects together but the modeling and the art genres together as well.
    In other words taking whatever is available to you out there to help tell your story.Plastic,wood,kit or scratch,hobby or art ,it really doesn't matter when the storyline is your most important consideration.