Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food allergies and attending Air Venture

Quote Originally Posted by dogtags View Post
    Perhaps you could contact Zaug's Vending, the catering company that provides most of the food for AirVenture.
    ~Robert
    Robert - Yup will do, great thought. I'll post their reply.

Larry

Jim:

Thanks for the offer, thanks for can-do attitude! I'm really looking forward to attending.

Larry

"I work with a woman with ciliac (sp?) and she is worried about down the road as she is hoping to be a commercial pilot (her Dad was one of my Chief Pilot's in a previous life). She is worried about long trips and finding food, ever looked around an airport for "Gluten Free" labels?"

I am a corporate pilot flying NA, SA, Europe, Russia and the Mideast since the early nineties. As far back as 1977 at Osh when no one paid any attention to vegetarians or those with food allergies I have managed to find decent food and remain disgustingly healthy. Tell your friend that diet issues are no excuse for not pursuing her dreams.

To the originator of this thread, obviously you and your wife are doing the best you can for your daughter. Kids can be difficult to feed even without allergies. You have not mentioned the possibility of a raw food diet for her. And you, which will make it easier for her. It is, after all, the way we evolved. Humans did not eat cooked food for close to two million years. The processed food we typically eat is foreign to the human animal and accounts for most of the health issues we commonly see now. It is easy to get around it.

Best of luck, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I am a corporate pilot flying NA, SA, Europe, Russia and the Mideast since the early nineties. As far back as 1977 at Osh when no one paid any attention to vegetarians or those with food allergies I have managed to find decent food and remain disgustingly healthy. Tell your friend that diet issues are no excuse for not pursuing her dreams.

Best of luck, Barry
    Barry, I'm a furloughed long haul guy (747-400 based @ ANC, hopefully back this year) so I know what you mean. I also did four years of check hauling and eight years of regional flying. It wasn't the layovers we were talking about, it's the on duty time when you are stuck with what is available in the terminal or brought with. The airline terminal isn't exactly a health food store, especially some of the smaller places you go in the regionals. She isn't using celiac as an excuse at all and isn't looking for "accommodation" under ADA or something like that. We were discussing how she could conquer the eating issue, and it definitely is conquerable! More prepackaged food is available every week and she knows what to watch out for, her QOL is so much better since she figured out why she was having the problems she had growing up.

Larry, when you have your plans finalized, send me a PM for my contact info. Don't know if my wife and kids will be there all week, they usually do a couple days and then head to her relatives in North Dakota. I've got the days off from my current job, but if I get recalled to flying I won't know what days I'll be in OSH until a month or so before.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Food on the road

[QUOTE=Jim Hann;8989]Barry, I'm a furloughed long haul guy (747-400 based @ ANC, hopefully back this year) so I know what you mean. I also did four years of check hauling and eight years of regional flying. It wasn't the layovers we were talking about, it's the on duty time when you are stuck with what is available in the terminal or brought with. The airline terminal isn't exactly a health food store, especially some of the smaller places you go in the regionals. She isn't using celiac as an excuse at all and isn't looking for "accommodation" under ADA or something like that. We were discussing how she could conquer the eating issue, and it definitely is conquerable! More prepackaged food is available every week and she knows what to watch out for, her QOL is so much better since she figured out why she was having the problems she had growing up. (Jim quote)

Hi Jim, not meaning to hijack the thread, but my fallback has always been carrots and almonds.

Cheers, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    my fallback has always been carrots and almonds.

Cheers, Barry
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Does anyone have any updates to the suggestions made five years ago as I am bringing a grandson who has a serious peanut allergy this year to Oshkosh?

Here is the list of the 15 different food venues plus the grocery store on site:

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pl...nd-concessions

You can click on each food vendor and read their menu and hopefully find some meal options for the grandson. If it's workable into your visit, a trip off site to a Walmart and a major grocery store should yield some further choices?

Best of luck.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rademacher View Post
    Does anyone have any updates to the suggestions made five years ago as I am bringing a grandson who has a serious peanut allergy this year to Oshkosh?
    The only info that I know of is in the Official Visitor & Camper's Guide 2017 Click on "download the PDF" for offline reading.

On pdf page 24 or actual page 22, Under DINING INFORMATION there is chart the shows the food venues that offer GLUTEN FREE (GF) and VEGETARIAN food.
    I believe that is about as close as you're going to get, as to whats in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rademacher View Post
    Hi I'm the original poster from 2012. My daughter has allergies to nuts, dairy, and milk-based products.

I'm happy to report that my daughter has attended Oshkosh every year but for 2015, when the plane was getting a new motor.

In all of our visits, we have been able to manage her food allergies just fine. We say in the dorm rooms, and eat our dinner on campus. The dinning hall is very accommodating when it comes to food allergies, so no problem for dinner. We bring some food with us and have breakfast in the dorm room, which has a small cube refrigerator and microwave. For lunch on the field we tend to eat at Subway, the have items that meet our needs.