Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food allergies and attending Air Venture

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I work with a woman with ciliac (sp?) and she is worried about down the road as she is hoping to be a commercial pilot (her Dad was one of my Chief Pilot's in a previous life). She is worried about long trips and finding food, ever looked around an airport for "Gluten Free" labels?
    Fortunately for me it appears I just have an allergy & not full blown Celiac disease (they are actually 2 different things) but gluten free is pretty hard to find in vending machines & such. While not labeled gluten free, Fritos should not have any wheat in them, most potato chips are OK (NOT Pringles, wheat is on the label).

New labeling rules went in effect in the last couple years & anything packaged in the US should say in big letters at the end of the ingredients list "May Contain xxxxx" where xxxxx is any ingredient that is a known allergen (soy, wheat, eggs, milk, peanuts, etc) Items packaged outside the US may not meet these labeling rules.

The restaurant here at the Decatur airport serves a lot of Italian dishes, they now have a gluten free menu. Also, many restaurants have low carb offerings on the menu, they are usually gluten free, and many of the major national chains have special menus for those with allergies, listing any allergen that may be in a particular dish.

I have read that there is some success in treating food allergies by exposure of very small amounts of the food to the child, don't know many details, but I'd check with a good doctor.
    I have a friend an EAA guy and airline pilot who has a peanut allergy, he is careful and lives with it ok.

One of the kids in my niece's class (5th grade) has a peanut allergy, he came in contact with something, they don't know exactly how, but he would have died if they hadn't given the teacher an epipen. Now nobody is allowed to bring anything with peanuts for lunch. (And PBJ day in the cafeteria used to be one of the most popular)

For those with peanut allergies, be aware anything fried may have been fried in peanut oil, restaurants like it as it has a high smoke point.

[QUOTE=Jim Hann;8469Side note, here are my kids (7, 4, and 2) at #OSH11[/QUOTE]

This is my daughter (7 in Oct). She has logged almost 30 hrs with me just this past year!

LarryName:  Sarah in the plane on the way.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  89.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    My suggestion would be to bring a cooler with as much safe food as possible. We do this already (mostly due to cost, not food allergies) but normally come up by car rather than aircraft so weight isn't as much of an issue as it might be for you.

The other option is to invest in a disposable cooler once you get to Oshkosh and have someone take you to Walmart or one of the groceries stores to stock up. If you need a ride and we're available, we would be happy to assist you by providing a ride to the store. My theory is I always try to help folks who are in need because folks have helped me in the past (namely this year at Oshkosh) when I was the one in need.
    Steve:

Thanks for your and others offers of help. EAA folks are the best!

Yup, I think that I will UPS out a box of packaged food (UofW dorms allow boxes to be shipped to guests). This will give me plently of packaged food for her to eat, and will have to pick and chose any fresh or prepared food very carefully. This will help me out with space/weight in the plane.

I really hope that in the years to come that the vended food on site will start to give better options for people who have resticted diets. Even I, with no special needs, get real tired of the offerings after a day or two eating on site.

Larry

Thanks for the kind offer for driving us to a food stores, I just might take you up on that!
    Not a problem. We all have to look out for our fellow pilots and their families.

Interstater
    The UW dorm dining facilities have to deal with a fair number of students these days who have food allergies, so if you are staying there they should be able to help. By all means though send them an e-mail or call them ahead of time so that they are aware of your needs before you arrive. I know the UW dining staff here in La Crosse takes great pride in what they can do for special cases.

This doesn't help you on the show site though.
    Last edited by Interstater; 01-01-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Perhaps you could contact Zaug's Vending, the catering company that provides most of the food for AirVenture.

http://www.zaugs.com/
    (920) 734-9881

~Robert

Quote Originally Posted by lkorona View Post
    This is my daughter (7 in Oct). She has logged almost 30 hrs with me just this past year!
    My daughter has the same headset!

Quote Originally Posted by lkorona View Post
    Steve:

Thanks for your and others offers of help. EAA folks are the best!

Larry
    And if Steve isn't around, I'm in Scholler with a vehicle also. I'm sure it can be done!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 01-03-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Interstater View Post
    The UW dorm dining facilities have to deal with a fair number of students these days who have food allergies, so if you are staying there they should be able to help. By all means though send them an e-mail or call them ahead of time so that they are aware of your needs before you arrive. I know the UW dining staff here in La Crosse takes great pride in what they can do for special cases.

This doesn't help you on the show site though.
    Joe-That an excellent idea, I've have to contact them and ask. I'll post whatever I find out.
    Larry