Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
I work with a woman with ciliac (sp?) and she is worried about down the road as she is hoping to be a commercial pilot (her Dad was one of my Chief Pilot's in a previous life). She is worried about long trips and finding food, ever looked around an airport for "Gluten Free" labels?
Fortunately for me it appears I just have an allergy & not full blown Celiac disease (they are actually 2 different things) but gluten free is pretty hard to find in vending machines & such. While not labeled gluten free, Fritos should not have any wheat in them, most potato chips are OK (NOT Pringles, wheat is on the label).

New labeling rules went in effect in the last couple years & anything packaged in the US should say in big letters at the end of the ingredients list "May Contain xxxxx" where xxxxx is any ingredient that is a known allergen (soy, wheat, eggs, milk, peanuts, etc) Items packaged outside the US may not meet these labeling rules.

The restaurant here at the Decatur airport serves a lot of Italian dishes, they now have a gluten free menu. Also, many restaurants have low carb offerings on the menu, they are usually gluten free, and many of the major national chains have special menus for those with allergies, listing any allergen that may be in a particular dish.