Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mag Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Huh?

The wobble test I mentioned had nothing to do with your mags. As far as it being "unofficial", owners of Bendix 1200's can go the official way - which is not bothering to look at all until overhaul or wait for a failure in the air, which it seems you'd prefer.

I'm really not sure what your problem is. Many experimental builders overhaul their engine and accessories. Most with no prior experience. Which is better, someone that has never worked on a mag or someone who has many years of experience building the same thing for a different application? I guess mechanics that worked on 290G generators wouldn't have a clue on how to change a cylinder on a 290 in an airplane.

Or is it that you think amateur built shouldn't be allowed and everybody should buy and maintain certified?

Now I'm starting to understand where you're coming from. Next time you fly Young Eagles, put up a sign with that on it.
    Your snide remarks tell me you don't quite understand at all. If someone ELSE wants to repair his engine without a clue or supervision - it won't be me in the other seat. If someone wants to do anything foolish or follows the know-it-alls on some forum - good for them. If I knew what shop you worked in I'd be sure never to send anything there with this attitude of yours......

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Gee. maybe the guy flying it!
    I'll bet they wouldn't care until it didn't work.

If I knew what shop you worked in I'd be sure never to send anything there with this attitude of yours......
    See, now I'm not going to say where I work. Just send your mags to a well known and respected shop and pay through the nose like a good pilot. Maybe it will be me that works on them. You won't know.

I hope you are paying someone to install them if you are of the opinion that changing the contacts or brush is too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    I'll bet they wouldn't care until it didn't work.
    Spoken like a pilot everyone should listen to.......... Makes my point about forum junkies in a nutshell. On to the ignore list - these comments are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    now I'm not going to say where I work.
    I wouldn't either. I've gotten to know the guy that redid my mag and he's certainly not you. Mine works fine now, haven't paid an A&P for years. And you're onto the ignore list with Tom and Mike, who also can't find a post they don't feel required to comment on, no matter how useless (counterproductive, disadvantageous, dysfunctional, expendable, feckless, fruitless, futile, good-for-nothing, hopeless, idle, impracticable, impractical, incompetent, ineffective, ineffectual, inept, inoperative, inutile, meaningless) the comment. Y'all really need to go out and actually fly something rather than theorize about the craziest ways to suggest others do it. See ya......

no matter how useless (counterproductive, disadvantageous, dysfunctional, expendable, feckless, fruitless, futile, good-for-nothing, hopeless, idle, impracticable, impractical, incompetent, ineffective, ineffectual, inept, inoperative, inutile, meaningless) the comment. Y'all really need to go out and actually fly something rather than theorize about the craziest ways to suggest others do it. See ya......
    Says the guy that has time to separately link each word to an online thesaurus. At least I'm trying to help people instead of telling everybody they are too stupid to work on airplanes.

Alright, I have been biting my tongue, and I don't know what I did to piss Riki off, and I don't know Turtle, but he sounds like he knows what he is talking about, but Tom has more aviation mechanicing experience than most anyone out there, and while I have not worked on that many airplanes I have rebuilt engines for everything from Model T's to Turbo Cosworths, and I have restored many tractors & classic cars, some of which are in museums. When I replied to this thread my intent was to try to save homebuilders some money, as mags are mags, and if you have a good old mechanic around that understands them you don't have to spend $1000 to get it rebuilt by a certified "aviation" shop. Heck, one of the major Cessna Service centers nearby has a local shop do all their alternator/generator/mag work, they got the FAA paperwork for them because they know what they are doing & they SAVE PEOPLE MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Heck, one of the major Cessna Service centers nearby has a local shop do all their alternator/generator/mag work, they got the FAA paperwork for them because they know what they are doing & they SAVE PEOPLE MONEY.
    Any A&P should be able to do the same thing..

Spoken like a pilot everyone should listen to.......... Makes my point about forum junkies in a nutshell. On to the ignore list - these comments are ridiculous.
    Maybe to you, but that comment seems like a comment from sone one with a chip on their shoulder.

[QUOTE=Mike Switzer;10911 but Tom has more aviation mechanicing experience than most anyone out there, [/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, but there a great number of folks posting here that are very versed in aviation. and a few that will take exception to anything.