Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $6 avgas letter

Nailed it Chris. Everyone always wants us to steer clear of political discourse, but when you're right, you're right! Got to face the facts at some point.

LPG/CPG/propane, etc.- probably the easiest, and least technically difficult to try on current aviation engines. Biggest problem IMO is fuel storage
    ...and people complain now about how much weight fuel eats up in their aircraft. Wait until they try to use something that has to be kept pressurized. Also, some folks seem really keen on the idea of running fuel lines through their cockpits. That's probably an even worse idea with a fuel that's also a documented displacement asphyxiant as well as an ignition risk than with 100LL or regular unleaded.

I'm actually quite fond of the work being done by Swift Fuels here in Indiana. They (at least the last time I checked) were making decent progress towards a 100LL alternative. Not to mention they are really nice folks who went well out of their way to help me at Oshkosh this year when I found myself stranded.

When you consider that the drill here drill now train of thought will bring us gas at the pump in about 15 years from now. Watch this Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsq-u...eature=related tell me why we can't be energy independent in 3 years? The technology is here now, the land is here now, we have people willing to farm algae now, why aren't we doing it?

pay attention to the last 15 seconds of the Video.

Hyper, as for "BS artists", a few years back the news reported a major oil spill in the Gulf that had a huge impact on the fishing and tourist economy from Texas to Florida? It has nothing to do with global warming, but was envirionmentally related as for as pollution. Was that just B S or did it really happen?
    Your industry doesn't have a right to operate so carelessly that it ruins others livelhoods.
    I own and profit from some oil stock myself, but they can't get away with stuff like that with no consequences.
    And more important than the economic impact of the spill is that 10 people were killed.

As for more drilling, there is actually a surplus of crude oil now in the U S, we are exporting some oil. are we not?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-30-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Is this a forum about experimental aircraft or one about politics? If it's the former, I'll stay. If it's the latter, please let me know so that I may cancel my membership immediately.

The forum is about experimental aircraft... this particular thread is about an aspect of our hobby that can hardly be discussed without pointing out the facts or opinion.

Regardless of what side we fall on, politics unfortunately plays a big role in our ability to enjoy our hobby. You would cancel your subscription "immediately" because the government or government agency is referenced? Wow! Sounds pretty intolerant. How would you suggest that we discuss these matters and the factors that influence them?

It's about experimental aircraft at least in original intent. There's a lot of off topic posting in the forum of supposition, rumor, etc.

without pointing out the facts or opinion.
    There seems to be a lot of the latter and something left to be desired with the former at least from the perspective of an innate skeptic. I'm a big believer in the old adage that was emblazoned on a sign in the office of one of my professors: "In G-d we trust...everybody else better bring ****ing data."

Regardless of what side we fall on, politics unfortunately plays a big role in our ability to enjoy our hobby. You would cancel your subscription "immediately" because the government or government agency is referenced? Wow! Sounds pretty intolerant. How would you suggest that we discuss these matters and the factors that influence them?
    A reasonable person would suppose that it's likely due to the perceived attitudes of the person(s) referencing said government and/or government agencies. As soon as someone brings up politics, their blinders are on and we see the same person who is cheering the advances in electric or hybrid aircraft (which is largely based on research driven by the environmental movement and funded by politicians who support that sort of thing) turn around and blast those same politicians who are giving money to programs aimed at developing lighter batteries with increased capacity and lauding their opponents who want to "drill baby drill" and cut the aforementioned funding that is indirectly helping move forward their own interest in electric or hybrid aircraft. Neither side is without fault in this issue and neither side has all the answers which is why I suggest we all try to stay on topics more germane to this forum. If we feel the need to have such discussion involving politics, maybe the moderators could start a "Politics of Aviation" subforum where people can go discuss, debate and bemoan the direction of the country until their hearts content.

Negative attitudes, intolerance for differing opinions and that sort of thing are what makes this one of the less active aviation forums on internet despite it being sponsored by one of the largest aviation organizations in the world. The lack of input to a lot of the technical threads (or turning them into political squabbles) certainly does not help. We have hundred plus post threads about the direction of a magazine but threads about real homebuilding questions get left with only a handful of posts and often questions unanswered.

Contrary to what the media seems to have planted in our heads, not everything needs to be turned into a reason for political grandstanding by either side. Now, let's please get back to talking about airplanes.

By the way, no offense is intended and any hurt feelings or twisted underwear are hereby apologized for in advance.

Seerjfly

Big Grin

Last edited by Seerjfly; 12-31-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: bye, bye

Quote Originally Posted by Seerjfly View Post
    ...... Sunshine and lollipops for everyone !
    My motto is: Will fly for food...weather permitting.
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

One other option that I hadn't considered (as it's not truly a "alternate" fuel) Hjelmco Oil (Sweden) makes a 91/96 octane unleaded thats already approved by Lycoming, Continental, and Rotax. Would think that would probably cause the least problems

BTW- As far as politics go, figure it really makes no difference who the politicians are, the problem has been around for quite some time. Have read of the surplus aircraft sales after WW2- the first thing the guy did after buying the planes was to drain the gas tanks and sell the fuel......paid for the entire lot