Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $6 avgas letter

Quote Originally Posted by MickYoumans View Post
    while AvGas is between 5.80 to 6.00.
    It is close to $7 here

I believe we'll be seeing $6 auto fuel in the near future. I can only guess what avgas will do. I'll just keep downsizing to ultralight if necessary and maybe by then I'll be able to power one with batteries.

Seerjfly
    Last edited by Seerjfly; 12-31-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: nothing to see here, move along.

Um guys... The place I'm working at the moment is charging $8.14/gallon for 100LL. I do work at an airline airport, but I'm embarassed by the price.

Jim
    (with bag over head while saying this)
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Yikes! And I thought $6.00 was really high. The 100ll website is showing five airports in my area with 100LL between $4.80 to $4.90.

I have noticed that a lot of the towered airports seem to always have higher gas prices, but $8.14 is just crazy!

Bush Field, our towered airport in Augusta, is $5.68 full service. I guess that is not so bad considering what you guys have been posting.
    Last edited by MickYoumans; 12-29-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Ours is so high because the park district owns the airport, and the lease states that they gets some % cut off the gross sales at the FBO. The nearby grass strip is around $1 cheaper for 100LL.

I don't remember posting Sport Aviation regarding fuel prices so it must have been some other "Mike Berg" but having said that high fuel prices was one of the reasons I sold my Cherokee (8.5 gallons per hour) even though I could burn auto fuel legally in it. I just finished a L16 project with an 0200 engine and hoping to be in the 5.5 gallon per hour range once I get the engine broke in on 100LL and can go back to auto fuel. With my 'flying budget' and the price of fuel I do think more about going out and boring holes in the sky just for fun. Push comes to shove, I guess I can 'reactivate' my A65 Champ at 4 gallons per hour. As we (the Flying Club) own our grass strip generally the fixes costs are down anyway. No way I could justify $200++ per month hangar rent.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

As we (the Flying Club) own our grass strip generally the fixes costs are down anyway.
    ...and my fiancee wonders why I want to live in the country. LOL

Well, with the continued saga of high fuel costs, perhaps its time to revisit some of the other "alternate" fuels- something along the lines of the original EAA Mogas tests back years ago.

I suspect good starting points for such a experiment would be:

LPG/CPG/propane, etc.- probably the easiest, and least technically difficult to try on current aviation engines. Biggest problem IMO is fuel storage

Jet A/Diesel. Infrastructure already in place for fueling. Fuel readily available "off-site" Possibility of using "Biodiesel" or other non-petroleum based sources. Would require further engine development to make practical (IMO Thielert, etc haven't quite sold me). Biggest problem -Would require an expensive engine change, probably fuel system supply components.

Quote Originally Posted by David Darnell View Post
    Well, with the continued saga of high fuel costs, perhaps its time to revisit some of the other "alternate" fuels- something along the lines of the original EAA Mogas tests back years ago.

I suspect good starting points for such a experiment would be:

LPG/CPG/propane, etc.- probably the easiest, and least technically difficult to try on current aviation engines. Biggest problem IMO is fuel storage

Jet A/Diesel. Infrastructure already in place for fueling. Fuel readily available "off-site" Possibility of using "Biodiesel" or other non-petroleum based sources. Would require further engine development to make practical (IMO Thielert, etc haven't quite sold me). Biggest problem -Would require an expensive engine change, probably fuel system supply components.
    The only thing I'm planning on to bring down the cost of avgas (and my blood pressure) is changing POTUS and some folks in the Senate in 2012...

Get rid of the Man-Made-Global-Warming BSArtists and Drill here, Drill now.

We DO have an untowered airport south of Shreveport that (due to Natural gas royalties) offer 100LL @ 3.60 (rack+delivery) as of last week. DTN is @ 4.90.

Chris