Thread: Old Airplane Lover...

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN

Old Airplane Lover...

Hey folks, in an attempt to generate some conversation before everyone leaves for OSH (if they haven't already), what old airplanes do you have? What do you like?

I grew up in a flying family. Here is a link to a webpage of some of my photos from my flying hobby and life. It kinda explains my passion for flying and old airplanes.

I've owned a Blanton V6STOL my dad and I built, a Starduster Too SA-300 (I bought it, didn't build it) previously and now have a 1946 Globe Swift and 1946 J-3 Cub. The Swift is flying and the Cub will hopefully again take to the air soon. It has not flown since 1969. Won't make Oshkosh this year, but hope to take the Cub nex year along with my older brother in his Cub. Both Cubs have been in the family since the late 60s. We both learned to fly in my brother's Cub when we were both 15 years old.

Here's my Swift (with me flying) taken over Gainseville, TX in 1987. It belonged to a friend at that time.

Swift today.

Starduster Too....sold a couple of years ago.

I've owned a Cessna 120 for over 41 years. In 2004 I purchased a RV-6, and thought I would sell the Cessna, but couldn't bring myself to do it. How do you sell an old friend? I learned to fly in Cessna 120s and 140s in the 1950s. I didn't come from an aviation family. I was just a kid who loved airplanes, and carried a newspaper route to pay for flying lessons. Name:  new years day 001.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  89.8 KB These days I fly the Cessna as often as I fly the RV-6. It isn't the destination that's important, It's the journey.

Re: Old Airplane Lover...

I learned to fly in a Cub and mine has been in the family since 1969 so I don't see me getting rid of it anytime soon. I love flying a Cub as much as ever. The Swift still is a thrill everytime I fly it too though so I don't know I'll get rid of it anytime soon either. Although I've only owned it four years, I've been associated with it (on and off) for almost 25 years.

My problem is a lack of space for adding other airplanes I'd love to have if only I had a hangar for them...and a wife who would kill me for owning more than two airplanes again. Three pushed her pretty hard when she was wanting to remodel our kitchen with new granite counter tops.

Nice Swift, Jim! We have a few based out of my home airport that I have helped work on and ride in. Fun airplanes!

I tried to buy a Swift but my friend told me about a 170 for sale. So this is my 170.

Re: Old Airplane Love...

That is a great looking 170. I had seriously considered buying one myself. You get two more seats, greater useful load and more room and still burn the same amount of fuel and cruise only marginally slower (if any) than a O-300 engined Swift.

I grew up flying in a 170 with my CFI mom....and dad occasionally.

I've only been fortunate enough to fly one 170 several years ago. It had a O-360/CS prop. I could have easily gotten spoiled to flying it regulary.

My original 1948 C-170, cruising over the NC mountains in 1980 with my son. I wish I could talk it out of the fellow I sold it to ... SOn John is now Captain John, flying the (now) second fastest corporate jet all over the world...
    Name:  Daisy-4 John and Alex 11-80.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  59.6 KB