Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly-in Pet Peeves

There is really no way to avoid it. I crewed for the Formula One racer Endeavor, and our first year out, the plane was pristine,
    and while we were talking to one of the fans, he bent over to admire the shine, and put a nice scratch in the wing with his dangling telephoto lens...
    AARRGGHH! Smooth & shiny is not just for show.
    We need the fans, and the good will of our neighbors, so best we can do is to try inform and educate.

AARRGGHH! Smooth & shiny is not just for show.
    ...another reason to stay away from laminar flow.

We need the fans, and the good will of our neighbors, so best we can do is to try inform and educate.
    This is true, but at the same time, if I ever decide to bring one of my designs out, it will probably be surrounded by a ring of snow fence topped with one of those bear deterrent electric fences. I'm not building it for show anyhow.

Sounds like you have a nice plane on display there.

The REAL question is......How much "drool" have you had to clean up from these gawkers?

While I do like the idea of 'lectric fences, I think some white Engineer tape (it's half inch cotton) around the plane would probably be in order to protect it if you're getting damage from onlookers.

Plus a sign that says "Don't be shy - ask and I'll give a tour!" with smaller letters underneath that say "Please don't touch."

I'd also put a towel down on the front seat if you're going to let people look in via an open door (which is a nice solution to scratched windows). It's only natural to put a hand down when leaning in, after all.

In the end, though, it's a fair decision that in the balance between desire to display and infuriating treatment that one opts out of displaying the aircraft. You may figure that only tight knit group sort of gatherings is for you.

After all the purpose of the airplane is to please the owner, not others.

(so says the guy who has "step on seat" as part of the procedure for getting in his plane)
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Another pilot was admiring my polished wings with his hands. He asked, "What's the hardest part about keeping it looking so good?" I looked him in the eye and replied, "Wiping off the hand prints." I own a 2001 Honda Shadow ACE with lots of chrome and polished bits. You think I would've learned a lesson from that.

Frank, your suggestions are probably the only practicable, workable solutions to the problem, but I'll never go to that trouble. For one thing, I don't like to baby sit my airplane at fly-ins. I like to look at, but not touch, the other airplanes. And you're right, I've already figured out that I like small group fly-ins among pilot friends where the general public is not involved. I've never been into "showing" cars or my airplane. I just have a nice plane and I want to keep it that way.

Dennis C.
    Last edited by stinsoner; 12-27-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Steve, your comment about keeping your polished wings looking good made me laugh. My Stinson has a polished prop, which looks great but is irresistible for people to touch. I always tell them, "he who touches, has to polish."

Dennis C.

I've see it all at fly-ins... The owner of a beautifully restored Chipmunk who came back to his plane to find a father placing his toddler son on the wingtip, and encouraging the child to run down the wing to the wing root. The Glasair owner who found a child standing on his wheel pant while the parent held the child's hand to help him balance. The Cessna owner who was sitting under his wing watching the airshow, and looked over to see someone who had removed his shoes and socks (it was a warm day) and had hung the socks on the prop to air out.In each case, when the transgression was pointed out, the perpetrators didnt't see anything wrong with it...

Yes, everyone from EAA members to the general public should be respectful and careful around aircraft. However, I go to fly-ins to show my aircraft to others and interest them in my passion of flying. So, I let anyone who can climb or crawl, into my aircraft at the event.

This holds true when flying an ultralight, Cessna 182, Cessna 210, Pietenpol, and now the 2003 Oshkosh award winning J-3 Cub. I do spend most of my time at the aircraft telling about the systems and making sure people and the aircraft are safe.

I have as much fun letting 80 year olds, former pilots, in the aircraft as I do with young kids. Everyone loves this photo opportunity. Many times, parents will thank me for letting kids touch and feel my aircraft. And, I tell everyone to ask the owner before touching another aircraft on display!

One does have to check out all the controls and buttons prior to engine start for the return flight. Even with the simple Cub, this rule holds true. One time I missed securing the fuel primer. The engine was hard to start and produced a lot smoke.

At AirVenture this next year, several Cubs will be on display to let everyone take a ground lesson in a Cub. Hopefully, many people will be taking pictures to create a lasting good impression for all.

With proper supervision, a hands-on opportunity to touch aircraft is a super way to promote our enjoyment of flight. I can also understand those that don’t ever want their aircraft touched. As I don’t repair aircraft, I am confident that others at Oshkosh can fix my Cub for the return flight if someone pokes a hole in the wing.

It wouldn't be too difficult to print a short hand-out, easy to read, maybe cartoon form, on air show edicate, to give out at admissions.
    Little reminders like this is NOT a ride like in front of your supermarket (it would take a slot a lot bigger then quarters)