Thread: Easiest Airventure Logistics Via Airline

Easiest Airventure Logistics Via Airline

A buddy would like to attend this year, but if he comes he'll have to come by airline and won't have a rental car. What's his easiest approach from a logistical standpoint? Are there busses from Milwaukee? Appleton, Madison, Green Bay?

Hey Kyle! Probably the easiest is to fly into ATW. Getting down to OSH probably depends upon his arrival date. He could always Uber down any time, shuttle bus service is typically available but I don’t know the schedule. One can also ship stuff to yourself and pick up at the GES site which I believe is behind the convention offices building. Green Bay and Milwaukee are both an hour plus and I’ve never found any convenient way to get to either location. And from what hear WiDOT has started work on 41 north and south of OSH. YEAH
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Hey Kyle! Probably the easiest is to fly into ATW. Getting down to OSH probably depends upon his arrival date. He could always Uber down any time, shuttle bus service is typically available but I don’t know the schedule. One can also ship stuff to yourself and pick up at the GES site which I believe is behind the convention offices building. Green Bay and Milwaukee are both an hour plus and I’ve never found any convenient way to get to either location. And from what hear WiDOT has started work on 41 north and south of OSH. YEAH
    Dave, any idea how to find the info on shuttles from ATW? For what its worth, my friend's dad was an F-22 structural engineer in Marietta back when you were doing the flight test thing, scaring yourself with C-5's and the like...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Dave, any idea how to find the info on shuttles from ATW?
    Scroll down a bit on this page to "Other Transportation Services," near the bottom; there are links to the info you seek.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Second vote for ATW. They have a surprising amount of airline service for a city of their size. There is a shuttle to the show, plus it’s close enough (less than 30 minutes) that getting a friend with a car to pick you up is not such an imposition.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Thanks gentlemen!

Your friend could try the Amtrak through-service from Chicago's Union Station, which comprises a train from Union Stn to Milwaukee, then a Lamer's bus to U of W (Osh) Gruenhagen Conference Centre. Very convenient if he's staying at the uni dorms. Alternatively, there's a bus from KORD to Wittman Field (Bus Station) that originates from outside the KORD terminal building.

In 2019, our flight from ORD to ATW was cancelled due to thunderstorm activity and the next available United flight was four (4) days later. For my last two visits (2022 & 2023), I used the Amtrak option to mitigate the risk of cancelled flights into ATW. Fifty bucks, door to door, and he will not need a car.

HTH.

Kobussen has not established their 2024 schedule. The schedule on their website is for 2023 but they believe it will be close. A lot depends on the schedules of the air carriers. How do I know this? I called them at 920-422-0604 and they are happy to talk. I am flying my son in law and my two grandsons into Appleton on Tuesday. We have done this once before with no issues. Can't wait. Sleeping amongst the 195's, waking to the Yodler, and breakfast at the Tall Pines. Can't get much better.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195