Thread: Book from 1912 on how to build a Biplane. Does this have any chance to fly?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big Grin Book from 1912 on how to build a Biplane. Does this have any chance to fly?

Hi, i recently found a booklet in the internet archive that teaches how to build a biplane glider from scratch, and I wanted to share it here with you, and also if possible, know if the model described in the book has any chance at all to take off.

The booklet in question is a short manual titled "How to build a 20 foot Bi-Plane Glider" and it is written by Alfred Powell Morgan, an electical engineer, in 1912. The booklet it's about the newest tecnology of that time, the planes. It talks about Orville and Wilbur Wright and their first flight in a motorized aircraft, it talks about Otto Lilienthal who is believed to be the first man to ever fly an aircraft, it talks about the principle of a plane, it talks about gliders, and the most important part,

How to build a 20 foot Bi-Plane Glider, from scratch, it explains wich materials gather, how to treat them, how to build the plane, always prioritizing safety, and when finished, it explains how to fly it. When I found out this, I was really happy, I read the book and thought: "holly molly, I've gotta do this". And so, i started the building of the aircraft, with a friend and my dear father.

And so dear friends, i bring to you this beautiful booklet of less than 80 pages, very clear explained and with some cool ilustrations. I hope you like it and look forward to your replies, will this truly fly?

Thanks,
    Pau

Here is a link to the internet archive file: https://archive.org/details/howtobuild20foot00morg
    If i did it right there should be a file attached to this post wich contains the book, but i have never posted anything here so i don't know if it'll work, if it doesn't, the link avobe redirects you to the original file in the internet archive
    Attached Images Attached Images