Thread: Some camping questions

Big Grin Some camping questions

Not a complete EAA newbie camping, but only camped there with me and my kids Friday-Sunday last year so was able to find a decent spot late but never needed any services, etc. First, (and I'll be tent camping) if I book camping day 1 that it's open, and pay the full fee (ugh... LOL) what time do the gates open to stake out a spot, and how long is the line to get in? (What time do we have to arrive in order to get a primo spot right at opening? LOL)

Is there places to fill up potable water if tent camping? I can bring a few 3-5 gallon plastic potable water containers, but curious where to get water and how far I'd have to lug it. (How about waste water from washing dishes?)

Finally, how 'safe' is it in the long term pertaining to theft? I'll have a decent size battery pack or two, and have solar panel to charge them during the day. Any concerns with those out in the sun at the campsite charging? Camping stoves, griddles, etc? (I love to cook LOL)

Thanks and looking forward to this year! I'll be there with my 2 late-teen kids, but also bringing 2 of their friends to help introduce them to AirVenture! May have some more questions as time goes on! I just wish there was more shaded areas for tents, instead of catering to the bougie RVs (though if I could afford it, I'd have one too. LOL)

Thanks!
    Andrew

It’s been awhile since I camped in Scholler but IIRC there were faucets at the shower buildings where you could fill water containers. We have always brought a foldable wagon that I tethered to the back of one of our bikes to make chores like filling a water jug easier. In my experience theft is pretty low but not nonexistent. I wouldn’t worry too much about leaving stuff out, but generally the best bet is to put anything away that you can’t bear to part with. Oddly enough I would have no hesitation in leaving a battery pack at a charging station while inside the show. This is always an option if you don’t feel comfortable leaving your solar panels unattended.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I asked the question over on the EAA FB page about the gate times on opening day and the response I got was “it’s usually 7 am but people line up day/night before and sleep in line.”
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I asked the question over on the EAA FB page about the gate times on opening day and the response I got was “it’s usually 7 am but people line up day/night before and sleep in line.”
    Thanks, 7am would mean leaving home around 4am... ugh LOL Sleeping in line however, not sure I'm that hardcore! I lucked out and found a spot in Paul's Woods last year, but that was on Friday evening after the big Thursday exodus. As long as I'm not too far from there I'd be fine LOL.

I have been camping at Scholler for the last 10 years and wow has it expanded. You were very lucky to find one in Pauls woods. I hear that there are people waiting on camp ground opening day, I think it is in early July or late June to stake out a site in Pauls woods. They have to pay from that day until they leave to hold the site. The credentials are checked buy EAA officials, I have seen it. Note on the credentials it states that falsification of the document can lead to forfeiture.

Next to the woods you have volunteers who have been there for several weeks before the show and some sites that have been staked out for weeks, the grass was tall around the stakes.

Further west you have water and or electric sites. These you reserve on line on a first come basis and pay for from the day you committed. I heard last year that they were sold out a week early. You also have reserved sites for chapters and last year many of them were moved West of Stits.

Last year I arrived Tuesday before and camp out by 10th, and many spots out there had credentials. 101 woods was full and around all the shower houses were taken.

EAA had planted trees out west and they were just getting great then the Ash bore killed most of them. Last year they were camping people South of Ripple on Wednesday. Thursday is a mass exodus and sites open up all over.

I still can't hardly wait for Airventure and camping there. I bring a bike to get around camp, have meet some great people and always have a good time. And your stuff is secure it is a great bunch of people.

Am sure you will have a good time just don't expect to be close to the entrance.

Thanks David! I actually plan on getting there June 28th when the gates open and paying the 'extended' dates, not cheap, but splitting the cost across the 5 of us that'll share the site. I think we should be able to secure a site 'close' to the entrance/shower stall as we'll be planting our stakes day one of the camp opening.

This will be my second year, first year doing a full week+, and I plan on making it an annual tradition, even though my kids are just about adults now, we plan on making it our annual father/kid retreat.

More trees would be nice, it's a shame that the bugs took out all the newly planted trees.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by David Bally View Post
    I have been camping at Scholler for the last 10 years and wow has it expanded. You were very lucky to find one in Pauls woods. I hear that there are people waiting on camp ground opening day, I think it is in early July or late June to stake out a site in Pauls woods. They have to pay from that day until they leave to hold the site. The credentials are checked buy EAA officials, I have seen it. Note on the credentials it states that falsification of the document can lead to forfeiture.

Next to the woods you have volunteers who have been there for several weeks before the show and some sites that have been staked out for weeks, the grass was tall around the stakes.

Further west you have water and or electric sites. These you reserve on line on a first come basis and pay for from the day you committed. I heard last year that they were sold out a week early. You also have reserved sites for chapters and last year many of them were moved West of Stits.

Last year I arrived Tuesday before and camp out by 10th, and many spots out there had credentials. 101 woods was full and around all the shower houses were taken.

EAA had planted trees out west and they were just getting great then the Ash bore killed most of them. Last year they were camping people South of Ripple on Wednesday. Thursday is a mass exodus and sites open up all over.

I still can't hardly wait for Airventure and camping there. I bring a bike to get around camp, have meet some great people and always have a good time. And your stuff is secure it is a great bunch of people.

Am sure you will have a good time just don't expect to be close to the entrance.

Hello Andrew, and welcome aboard!
    This will be my 47th convention, so I'm here to tell you as an annual tradition, it's pretty awesome.
    WRT water, anywhere there's a water fountain there's at least one tap for filling your potable water needs. Generally the fountains are in front of the shower houses, but there are a few elsewhere, like at the barn store I believe.
    WRT security, there is always one obnoxious kid who will pull some crap somewhere, but the odds of crossing paths with them are remote. Your charging apparatus should be fine, but if you bring pink flamingos, they might be a bit more tempting.
    For dish washing et al, I'd recommend being conservative with the water and dumping (tossing?) it in the middle of the grass lane. It'll evaporate in no time.
    Perhaps most significant to your camp happiness all week is knowing that time of year the weather averages a six day cycle. So, you can count on one and perhaps two cold fronts coming through. Some years it doesn't rain at all, but it is wise to expect one rip-roaring cold front to rock you camping world. So, make certain your tent is waterproof, sturdy enough, and staked down like you mean it. And, each time you leave your tent open while heading into the grounds, you are tempting Murphy and mother nature.
    Congrats on annualizing the adventure!