Thread: adsb out with uavionix tail beacon

adsb out with uavionix tail beacon

looking at the uavionix tail beacom to give my experimental trike adsb out. it is designed to be an upgrade to an existing rear position light. not having such an existing light I am looking for folks who may have been in similar circumstances as myself and have found a solution. I imagine a bracket is fabricated to mount the uavionix bracket/tail beacon. I'm hesitant to purchase ($2000) without a solid plan.

My chapter president installed one in his Falco. Bracket behind the pilot seat. Had some problems getting to work right, but uavionics worked with him and he's happy with it.

Big issue would be in mounting the unit to minimize the blockage due to the metal structure. That's the advantage of the wingtip or tail mounting. The Falco is all wood so it's not as big of an issue. I've got the wingtip on my Fly Baby, and it's worked fine right out the box.

I'd talk with the company and get their recommendations.

Ron Wanttaja

For my experimental without a rear position light (I do have a tail tip strobe) I went with the uAvionix EchoUAT that gives me ADSB in & out. Only concern is now it seems that they are on backorder at most of the sites I visted. Great unit though as mine has been flawless thus far ...

Dale
    3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel/Sonex

uvionix support recommended the tail beacon for my needs as it can be set up to work without a transponder they said. I really just need to come up with a mounting idea and was hoping some here had solved that issue before me. with only a dacron sail above me location shouldn't be critical but something off the shelf would be preferable to fabricating. thanks for the replies.

I am a bit confused here about product names ( models) Tail Beacon - Needs a transponder. Tail Beacon X has one within the unit. Advise we are on page with this description.

TailBeaconX

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffelfinger View Post
    I am a bit confused here about product names ( models) Tail Beacon - Needs a transponder. Tail Beacon X has one within the unit. Advise we are on page with this description.
    The uAvionix TailBeaconX does have an internal transponder. However, comma: Because of that, there is a LOT more to installing it than there is to the TailBeacon. It needs some way to display status to the pilot, and for the pilot to set transponder codes, Ident, etc. Therefore it uses a cockpit display/control panel. Currently, it's integrated with their AV-30. AFAIK, it only works with that unit, so you'll need to install both if you don't have the AV-30 already.

It works with either the AV-30 or with the AV-20, which is smaller (and has fewer features) and about $980 less expensive.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

ok so the tail beacon X includes the internal transponder but needs a cockpit control panel. ok there is something I learned. good information.
    I see in UK the trikes are using sky echo, a small portable adsb transceiver. cost < $1000. but not approved for use in USA.

Well ... because uAvionix is now working to remedy a supposed fault in the EchoUAT unit that I have I'm seriously considering an upgrade to the TailbeaconX and an AV30-E:

https://uavionix.com/echouat-update/

The issue is encoder information and they have a free fix for it but I've been eyeing the AV30-E. Loosing the weight of my Garmin 320A and it's encoder (while gaining a bit of cockpit space) would be a good thing. FWIW I've done multiple PAPR reports for my plane and no faults have been noted ...