Thread: Anyone built or flown an Affordaplane?

Anyone built or flown an Affordaplane?

I was just wondering if anyone here has built or flown an affordaplane? If so, I'd love to ask you some questions.

There is a lot of talk about the A-plane, but there seem to be very few actually flying, which may tell you something. There are questions about its ability to actually meet the part 103 weight limit (which may or may not matter to you) and about some aspects of its structural design.

Similar designs like the Legal Eagle and Airbike seem to have a lot more people actually flying them.

Jon Croke at HomebuiltHELP built an Affordaplane and documented the process in 51 videos on YouTube. The first video in the series can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVxPq204jnY
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    There is a lot of talk about the A-plane, but there seem to be very few actually flying, which may tell you something. There are questions about its ability to actually meet the part 103 weight limit (which may or may not matter to you) and about some aspects of its structural design.
    January 2023 FAA Registry shows two active registrations for Affordaplanes (N922CG and N112DT), and nine deregistered examples.

Of course, this would NOT show any examples being flown under Part 103.

Ron Wanttaja

I am planning to build one as part 103. I just ordered the aluminum yesterday. I purchased the plans then a set of videos from John Croke and they are very helpful. There are a few more that he didnt put on youtube that you get when you purchase it. I would like to build an airplane someday, maybe a bearhawk patrol or another tandem design, but I thought this would be a good introduction to see how I like building planes and if I actually have time for this sort of thing. I would really like to talk to someone that has actually flown one however and Jon only made that one short hop with his and he doesn't want to discuss flying it as he focuses on building.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post

Similar designs like the Legal Eagle and Airbike seem to have a lot more people actually flying them.
    I think making weight is probably a general issue for all ultralights. 254 lbs isn't much.

254 pounds is an insane weight limit.
    But it's what we have.