Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSH 23 - No complaints

OSH 23 - No complaints

I think 23 was one of the best managed Air Ventures I have attended (since 2006). Staff and volunteers did a terrific job. I would like to see fewer golf carts and ATV's motoring around pedestrians. Maybe vendor traffic could be restricted to after show hours? Waiting for 24.

Personally I generally concur but I know others that probably don’t feel this was the best Osh they attended— arrival and departure issues depending on the day, the fatal accident, etc, etc. We were there Friday to Friday and arrived IFR so we didn’t experience any issues. Actually for us the arrival and departure was the smoothest ever since we started flying up in 2015. I particularly liked that the aviation vendors showed up in force. Overall for me it was a B+to A-
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I always consider the incredible logistical "challenge'' that a week long event like this presents. With that in mind EAA does an amazing job IMHO of balancing the physical, emotional and financial realities of handling some 90,000 people of all ages with their unique interests and desires, all day EVERY day. It remains a delight to volunteer for 9 long days each year and I always leave with a heart full of smiles and a mind full of joyous memories. It's perhaps trite to say it, but most all airplane people are just good folks to be around. Yes indeed I DO luv me some airplanes. The NRA annual convention is the only other huge gathering of happy like minded souls that I attend which so moves me in mind and spirit. I tell you it restores my faith in humanity.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

The EAA needs to beef up their emergency services policy. They dumped this rediculous plan that only addressed (poorly) the tornado warning of last year. The phone number listed for EAA security is only staffed until 5PM. Fortunately, most of the time, you don't want EAA security, which are largely untrained locals. 911 works well.

I sure wish they would change up the airshow performers. How many times can a person watch the same performances and be entertained?

Quote Originally Posted by CJW View Post
    I sure wish they would change up the airshow performers. How many times can a person watch the same performances and be entertained?
    I rarely watch the airshows anymore per se, unless it’s something unique like the Martin Mars a few years ago. It’s not just the performers but the routines— I’ve seen enough Lomcovaks and basic aero maneuvers to last a lifetime. For the non-flying public I’m sure it’s all exciting. For me, not so much. We come to the show now mostly for the social aspect and a little volunteer work.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I just don't understand why they won't bring in new blood. We've seen the long ez and the red bull team enough now. I enjoy a good airshow but I can hardly sit there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CJW View Post
    I just don't understand why they won't bring in new blood. We've seen the long ez and the red bull team enough now. I enjoy a good airshow but I can hardly sit there anymore.
    Does new blood exist? What demonstration/airshow acts are out there that feature different types of performances?

Ron Wanttaja

Very true. The best airshow for us is pulling up our chairs and watching the arrivals.

Airshows are vaudeville with the FAA and other regulatory agencies looking over your shoulder. We have a flight training regime that messages that aviation is serious business. Its transportation. For an aviator to do airshows you have to be technically creative, technically capable, have something of a show-off gene, and be able to sell yourself to sponsors and show organizers. That is a lot of talent for one person and the result is that the number of aviators who embody all of those talents is small. And frankly, we can count the number of individuals who can make enough money to survive doing airshows on the fingers of your hands. Show organizers are understandably working with a budget and looking for performers that deliver lots of entertainment value for as few $$ as practical. Potential sponsors are looking for as much exposure to their target market as practical. The International Council of Airshows has seminars on these topics at their annual convention but it is up to the individual performers to go out and sell themselves.

Airshows are a much tougher business than it looks and it is generally easier to go work in a corporate or airline flight department. Many airshow performers actually have a primary source of income so that they can be hero airshow people on the weekends.

Next we get into limited number of different things you can do with airplanes. Acro, racing against dragsters, etc. For what its worth, the comedy acts are the hardest. Standup comedy with airplane takes the most talent of all of the acts. The next time that you see a flying farmer act think about the skill it takes to make the airplane do what you see at the low airspeeds. That "hayseed" in the worn overalls is a better stick than you or I will ever be.

When I showed up to a show I had to satisfy the FAA ASI in charge. BATFE to get the pyro, and then the local Fire Marshall to deploy the pyro. All for 5 or so minutes in front of the crowd. A lot goes into what the audience sees and the performer has to navigate all of the applicable regulations. You have to want to spend that 5 or so minutes in front of the crowd to navigate the things you have to do to get there.

I will hazard a guess that the "Youtube generation" might be directing all of the talents and energies mentioned above to online internet rather than summer weekends at the airport where you cross your fingers that the weather and the airplane cooperate.

Best of luck,

Wes