Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Embry Riddle Worth It?

Is Embry Riddle Worth It?

So I have posted several times on here about colleges and other things of the such. I really like Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, but as many of you know, it is not the cheapest college around by any means. Right now I am looking into professional flight (Pilot) with another degree in possibly engineering or business (The second degree I am not sure on, but I know I want something to fall back on incase the airlines take a turn for the worst.) Back to the point though, I was wondering if ERAU was really worth all of the expenses that come with it. Will going to ERAU increase my chances of getting hired on by an airline? Would ERAU look better than other well known colleges with aviation programs such as University of North Dakota or Purdue? Any advice or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Short answer is no. In fact, in some areas of aviation, learning to fly at Riddle will hurt your chances of getting hired. When I worked in Alaska, my chief pilot would round file resumes that had Riddle on it. Similar with the companynI just left. Regionals may be more impressed.

I would suggest you get your flight training outside of the college/university envirornment and get a degree in something else from some other reputable school. This is coming from someone with a masters from Riddle.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Why not get a degree in something that will allow you to have a job should you ever lose your medical certification and then get your flight training on the side? The advice that Anymouse offers is well advised.

I would highly recommend Purdue for their aerospace engineering program and can say with a good deal of certainty that West Lafayette is a hell of a lot better than North Dakota especially during the long months of winter.

Flight schools

There are other universities that offer 4 yr degrees with a minor in business or engineering. Southern Illinois University, Texas State Technical College etc. My son just graduated from TSTC & A&M Central Texas with a Bachelor of Science in Aviation, minor in business. He has also taken courses in Airport Mgmt, Air Traffic controller, offered by TSTC which provides good all round aviation training. Taking additional courses e.g. business courses is a smart move and likewise my son wanted to have some other strings to the bow should the airline industry hit an even worse slump.

If you plan on working for any of the major commercial airlines you will need a 4yr degree to even be considered - direct quote from American Airlines Pilot Recruiter. If you love flying and have an aptitude for it then definitely pursue a degreed program.

Yes esperience and logged flight hours are essential for any airline professional, but the major carriers have different requirements than a smaller local airline flying specific daily routes to remote locations with specific weather conditions.
    Good luck!

I am a current member of Embry-Riddle. For me it is well worth it but I am not going to school with the ultimate goal of being an airline pilot. As an active duty military member in aviation, Embry has a campus on my base and it is extremely convenient to go to school there.

The degree I am pursuing is professional aeronautics with a minor in technical management, which will assure that I will always have a job in a field that I love or a job somewhere. Lets face it. The FAA is tough and with never knowing what tomorrow brings, things like loosing your medical could have you unemployed and on the street in no time at all if you put all your eggs in the pilot basket.

I think Embry Riddle is a great school but I would seriously consider getting your degree in an aviation related field that the FAA cant take away from you at some point.

I am currently working on my degree with embry and the intent of moving on to their Masters program. Also studying to get my A&P outside of the school environment and starting on my sport pilot license in FEB. all while performing my everyday job as a helicopter rescue crewman and aviation machinist .

Even without being an airline pilot im so involved in aviation that I am pooping feathers and I would recomend a path similar to anyone just so you can move around within the community should you need to for health reasons,job availability, and or location.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    Short answer is no.
    I have to strongly disagree and say the short answer is a resounding yes! So, obviously the correct answer is sometimes and maybe. I was in a meeting with chief pilots from 2 regional carriers last week. Both strongly praised the quality of new hires they get from the top 4-year aviation colleges. They will hire those students when they just barely meet their minimums. Others who apply from less structured programs don't adapt so quickly and they don't get hired until they have significantly more time and experience. (I'm not a riddle grad, but did graduate from another top aviation school.) Riddle students spend 4-years surrounded by students and instructors that comprise a vibrant aviation community. They eat, drink, and breath aviation 24 hours a day. Walk through a dorm and your surrounded by aviation. You can't get that depth of aviation experience at any school that doesn't specialize in aviation education.

Probably

I don't work in the airline industry, nor am I a graduate of ERAU. My 2 cents worth is that any degree from an accredited institution is better than none. Yes there are degree snobs in industry who are impressed with the prestige degrees. But, when I screen applicants for positions, I am always impressed by the applicant with a family who completed night school while holding down a full time job. Shows the ability to manage time and focus on long term goals...Get a degree in something that interests you. If the airline job never materializes, you will be prepared for a career...Pete

I need college list for avitation technician. because i planned going to join aircraft plant technician.i am also searched college list. so if you know any best aviation maintenance training institue please inform here.
    thanks & regards

Quote Originally Posted by jackkhan011 View Post
    I need college list for avitation technician. because i planned going to join aircraft plant technician.i am also searched college list. so if you know any best aviation maintenance training institue please inform here.
    thanks & regards
    Pima Community College in Tucson is one of the best aviation maintenance programs in the country. Students all have jobs before they graduate.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by jackkhan011 View Post
    thanks & regards
    The FAA maintains a list of Part 147 maintenance technician schools here: http://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp
    You'll have to do a little research to find out which ones are affiliated with a college or university. The "best" one will be the one the fits your needs.

Graduates of any A&P school today have a job or job offers. Demand will likely outpace supply for some time to come.