Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow! New MOSAIC rules.

Happy Wow! New MOSAIC rules.

I'm surprised that I'm not seeing any discussions about the new MOSAIC rules. Sounds wonderfully exciting to me! If I understand correctly, sport pilots would be able to fly larger planes, such as a 172, and even get endorsed to fly at night or by IFR. Quite a big change. I expect there will be an explosion of new plane designs aimed at the sport market.

I'm hearing that AOPA is planning to propose an even higher stall speed than the planned 54 kcas. I'm wondering what that might allow?

Good times.

Eric

Here's a great set of summary charts produced by the EAA:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pub...ca284dc0a.ashx

Ron Wanttaja

"stall speed than the planned 54 kcas. "

I read somewhere that this is the clean stall speed (VS1), and as is would rule out the Piper Cherokees. I may not be correct though.
    Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    "stall speed than the planned 54 kcas. "

I read somewhere that this is the clean stall speed (VS1), and as is would rule out the Piper Cherokees. I may not be correct though.
    You are correct. This is one point that a lot of people aren't real happy about. This also rules out much of the RV line.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Remember, this is a notice of PROPOSED rule-making. The issue about including Cherokees and RVs in the category is a good one to comment on. You submit a comment online via:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...n#open-comment

Don't for a moment think that comments on an NPRM don't matter. Almost twenty years ago, the Light Sport NPRM specified a maximum stall of 39 knots and a gross weight of 1,200 pounds. Both were raised after the comment period.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Remember, this is a notice of PROPOSED rule-making. The issue about including Cherokees and RVs in the category is a good one to comment on. You submit a comment online via:
    https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...n#open-comment
    Don't for a moment think that comments on an NPRM don't matter. Almost twenty years ago, the Light Sport NPRM specified a maximum stall of 39 knots and a gross weight of 1,200 pounds. Both were raised after the comment period.
    Ron Wanttaja
    Yes! They DO read the comments.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by melann View Post
    You are correct. This is one point that a lot of people aren't real happy about. This also rules out much of the RV line.
    Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realize. I've submitted a comment noting that the RV series has the lowest accident rate of the homebuilt fleet, and suggesting raising the limit to point where RVs are included. Included an attachment; a KITPLANES article where some jughead proved that. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, I didn't realize. I've submitted a comment noting that the RV series has the lowest accident rate of the homebuilt fleet, and suggesting raising the limit to point where RVs are included. Included an attachment; a KITPLANES article where some jughead proved that. :-)
    Ron Wanttaja
    If they would just change the stall limit to VS0, it would include most RVs and a lot of other aircraft. VS1 is not a typically "spec'd" limit.

Quote Originally Posted by melann View Post
    Yes! They DO read the comments.
    And often, they respond... though the response is often, "The FAA disagrees."

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    And often, they respond... though the response is often, "The FAA disagrees."
    To which I reply, "You're certainly within your rights to disagree, but as a taxpayer and therefore indirectly an employer, you're going to have to see this my way."

It's never worked, but it's satisfying to retreat with dignity.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.