Thread: Vintage to LightSport?

Vintage to LightSport?

If the changes happen as advertised, and I understand correctly, many vintage aircraft will no longer require a medical? Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    If the changes happen as advertised, and I understand correctly, many vintage aircraft will no longer require a medical? Is that correct?
    If the aircraft meets LSA parameters then it may be flown by a Sport-Pilot with a valid drivers license and no medical.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

That is correct. The FAA is going to change the Light Sport rules so that Sport Pilots will be allowed to operate a much broader range of aircraft. By "Sport Pilot," I'm referring to folks who have a Sport Pilot's license as well as those with higher tickets who do not have a valid medical.

The stall speed limit is rising to 55 knots.

The maximum cruise speed limit is going to be replaced by a derived value; it's believed this will allow Sport Pilots to operate planes as heavy as 3,000 pounds.

Sport Pilots will be allowed to operate aircraft with up to four seats. However, for now, they are still limited to carrying one other person.

The prohibition on retractable gear or variable-pitch propellers will be replaced with the need for an endorsement.

There are other changes that'll mean that most Vintage aircraft will be able to be flown by pilots without medicals.

Keep in mind, though, that the CERTIFICATION STANDARD of the vintage aircraft will not change. If it's a Standard Category aircraft, it still must be maintained and inspected by Part 43.

There's an ongoing discussion in this forum regarding the need for relaxation of such requirements.

Ron Wanttaja

That's already true; sport pilots can already fly older aircraft like Cubs, T-Crafts, etc., without a medical. The proposed changes remove the 1320# weight limit and open it up to include many more aircraft.