Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Show Announcers

I believe Bill Rickett was the original yodeler. He passed away quite a few years ago.
    I know it was all done in good fun but he was not the best. Never paid much attention to it quite honestly. But personally I liked the recording of the radial engine start with the whine of the inertial starter being cranked up better.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I liked Ray Hegy’s low altitude, high RPM, passes over the campground in El Chuparosa.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    A day without Bell 47 helicopters flying over HBC would be most welcome.
    Funny. Lots of things get on my nerves (see:airshow announcers), but the helicopters don't even register for me and I've spent 25ish years in HBC. Go figure.

My favorite announcer moment this year was Danny Clisham gushing about David Martin during his performance at the Wednesday night airshow. He eloquently described David's routine and told us about the thrilling part of his show where he shuts off his engines and does his energy management routine capped off by landing dead stick and rolling to a stop at airshow center! Then he said that David didn't do this as part of his night show........ then why did he blab on about it???

Quote Originally Posted by BJC View Post
    I liked Ray Hegy’s low altitude, high RPM, passes over the campground in El Chuparosa.
    Ah yes, what a treat that was. I don't think there are many noisier props than Ray's on El Chuparosa.
    Cheers!

Joe

That announcers irritated me too. Just announce who they are and what they are gonna do and shut up. Lee

At least we weren't subjected to the 6am departures of the AeroShell T-6 team, proptips supersonic, every morning this year. OTOH, it was extremely annoying that he airshow military jets seemed to take every opportunity to turn their tails to the crowd, cut in the afterburner, and deafen every living soul out to US41. My job on the field will not allow me the luxury of earplugs.
    -Chip-
    1959 Cessna 172A
    2016 Mosquito XE285

It's been more than a decade since I've actually sat through a show. The announcer's bs has a lot to do with that, as well as the afterburner aimed at the crowd, and neck snapping acro in over powered monoplanes. I far prefer the savvy energy management of the (non-jet) biplanes, Duane Cole, and Bob Hoover. I know those folks aren't in the picture anymore, but that shouldn't preclude actual airmanship in the show. Well, at least they listened to the hue and cry when the announcers were shouting advertising during the shows. "Look at those beautiful goodyear tires as he pulls vertical!" and quit doing it. Man, that was ridiculously obnoxious.
    The yodeler and Paul buzzing the the campground in the Consolidated trainer, trailing six feet of white scarf and shouting "WAKE UP!!" over the side were just unique facets that made the whole thing a bit more amusing and memorable.
    I don't know how many other people feel the way I do and took action, but I do know that I wrote about the endless strings of hyperactive monoplanes and there has been an uptick of graceful, lower power to weight ratio aerobatics since then. I recommend that anyone who feels strongly on these (or any other relevant) issues do the same. You might not get what you want, but you might be surprised at what you can trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrexx View Post
    At least we weren't subjected to the 6am departures of the AeroShell T-6 team, proptips supersonic, every morning this year. OTOH, it was extremely annoying that he airshow military jets seemed to take every opportunity to turn their tails to the crowd, cut in the afterburner, and deafen every living soul out to US41. My job on the field will not allow me the luxury of earplugs.
    I've taken to always having a set of earplugs at the ready while tram conducting, especially on the Blue and Red routes that go along the flightline. I do realize that AirVenture IS a rare opportunity for folks to see the capabilities of our military jets, but DANG they are truly deafening and IMHO without good hearing protection that intense volume 'can' cause damage, temporary or permanent.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I do realize that AirVenture IS a rare opportunity for folks to see the capabilities of our military jets
    This is incorrect. Every other airshow in the country has the military participation. You can see that anywhere else. Why are we wasting valuable Oshkosh show time with all the military performances. One DoD act per show is more than enough.