Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Show Announcers

Air Show Announcers

I enjoyed AirAdventure. I just have one comment. The announcers for the air shows seem to be out of sync with what's happening. Once in a while they'll describe a maneuver that is not what is happening or they'll predict something that doesn't happen at all! Easy for some to ignore but the majority of attendees are probably not that familiar with aerobatic maneuvers and are getting misinformation. I'm pretty sure the shows are carefully choreographed. Perhaps a little more study of the menu is required. I enjoyed the performers that just played music during their routine the best.

Personally I think the shows are spectacular enough without the ringmasters commentary. They seem to be airheads and I don't think babbling is really a skill. Maybe it doesn't matter. It's all part of the show.

I think airshow announcers are geared for the airshow at your local metropolitan field where the audience is a group of non-aviation people looking to be entertained on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Unlike Oshkosh, where most of the attendees are knowledgeable aviation people who don't need/appreciate the commentary.

I've said for years that I'd love for one day of the airshow to be just the airplanes and their sounds - no announcers.

Wouldn’t that be a nice change of pace. Could we get a day without military jets trying to destroy what’s left of my hearing too?
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Wouldn’t that be a nice change of pace. Could we get a day without military jets trying to destroy what’s left of my hearing too?
    This year I carried earplugs with me for whenever the Navy or Air force arrived. They've never really bothered be too much except for Harrier, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

After the 2019 "Year of the Jet", I suggested that it would be nice to have a "Year of the Sailplane".

Quote Originally Posted by bmckinney View Post
    After the 2019 "Year of the Jet", I suggested that it would be nice to have a "Year of the Sailplane".
    I'd enjoy even a "day of the sailplane".

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I'd enjoy even a "day of the sailplane".
    Jet powered sail plane in the night shows

A day without Bell 47 helicopters flying over HBC would be most welcome.

Yes. I camped over in Vintage this year. That was one of the perks. No helicopters. Unfortunately we had the DJ that tried to walk us up at 7am by hollering and singing or whatever he was doing. They did play some nice music after that assault.

Quote Originally Posted by mmarien View Post
    Yes. I camped over in Vintage this year. That was one of the perks. No helicopters. Unfortunately we had the DJ that tried to walk us up at 7am by hollering and singing or whatever he was doing. They did play some nice music after that assault.
    That was a recording that is a long standing tradition at Oshkosh, I don't recall the gentleman's name, but it is a recording of his yodeling from many years ago, and is always played over the PA at 7am. Don't like it, don't come to Oshkosh. Same with the helicopters, long standing tradition, like saying don't fly any airplanes because I don't like the noise.