Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Typical Fees and hidden expenses

flight school

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Wirejock, what airport do you fly from and what flight school?I went to college in Austin, and wish I had been a member and learned to fly with the Longhorn Flying Club when I was there; I did a lot of skiing and some scuba diving instead, but a friend did get his private there and went on to be an airline captain. I also used to fly into Mueller often, both airlines and private, and had avionics work done there and also took refreshser flight courses from the Bonanza pilots group there.What a great airport that was, and I am really sorry that it closed, and is now mostly a slum area. Bergstrom is not the same, many just a big airline airport out of town.Of course the really important thing is that U T beat the Aggies, much more critical than any mere aviation matter.I agree the a formal ground school class, either at a local college or FBO or whatever is a good thing. Having a set time means you will probably get the material covered, and it may be more interesting to do it with others and you might meet some flying friends. You can do the study alone, and I have also done it that way, but it is easy to put off home study or get interupted or distracted.Since taxpayers are paying part of the costs at a public college, you may get a good value for your money.
    Bill:Small world. I graduated UT in 1981. I got my flight training @ Lockhart from Joe and Louanne Stenger. Stenger Air has a small operation there and I give them five stars. Louanne was my CFI. Both are awesome career CFIIs. I loved Lockhart because it took no time to get into the training area. Plus, good BBQ is everywhere.Funny, Mueller is now one of the high end neighborhoods!

I think a lot of the advice here is very good stuff so I'm not going to beat the dead horse. I will, however add, you may want to just pay for an hour of flight time with this instructor prior to spending any additional money. See if you like him and his style of instructing. The hour and money spent will be a worthwhile investment. It is also a loggable hour of instruction. The worst thing you can do is to commit yourself financially only to find out you don't mesh with your instructor. This is not to say he's a bad instructor, just not right for you. In the end, if he's worth his salt, he'll respect your judgment. Also, you'll be alot more relaxed knowing you can walk away if it doens't work out. If he really wants your business, he should include the pre and post flight briefing at little or no charge.One last thing, take a good look at the planes you'll be flying. They should look airworthy even to an untrained eye, not tattered and worn out. Rental equipment lives a hard life. Also, look at the schedule. Be sure the plane and instructor are going to be available during the times you'll need them.Good Luck where ever you fly. And remember, it should be fun first!