Thread: Another Compliment - Grounds Cleanup

Another Compliment - Grounds Cleanup

I had griped previously about the mess around many of the food vendors that had been getting worse over the previous several years. I noticed this year that the ground around those vendors was much cleaner, and witnessed the reason why. There were young men an women in EAA shirts picking up, and whoever hired this group should be commended as well as those hired. Even in the miserable heat on Thursday the young man working around the A&W near the tower was zooming around at Mach 1 picking up every bit of debris there was.

Paul Sr would be proud of that addition to the staff!

Yeah, the only time I really saw trashed piled up was at the very end of the day. Kudos, the place looks great.

As I was taught by my parochial school parents... "act like you OWN the place"!!!
    Meaning... if you see trash on the ground, PICK IT UP and deposit it!!!
    If you see where you can help push an airplane or assist someone, DO SO!
    Even as clean as the AirVenture grounds are, I would regularly stoop down and pick up paper, popsicle sticks, water bottles, et.al.
    I am 70 years old. This was my 43rd Oshkosh! If I can do it, you can do it! I've had a hip replaced and the other one is going. If I am on the ground, I am unlikely to be able to stand up on my own.
    This is OUR place! WE ARE EAA! "Act like you OWN the place"!!! WE DO!

Quote Originally Posted by jerslash View Post
    As I was taught by my parochial school parents... "act like you OWN the place"!!!
    Meaning... if you see trash on the ground, PICK IT UP and deposit it!!!
    If you see where you can help push an airplane or assist someone, DO SO!
    Even as clean as the AirVenture grounds are, I would regularly stoop down and pick up paper, popsicle sticks, water bottles, et.al.
    I am 70 years old. This was my 43rd Oshkosh! If I can do it, you can do it! I've had a hip replaced and the other one is going. If I am on the ground, I am unlikely to be able to stand up on my own.
    This is OUR place! WE ARE EAA! "Act like you OWN the place"!!! WE DO!
    Thank you!

Wish I could say the same for the fun fly zone after the twilight flight fest. We had to FOD walk the runway every morning particularly after the nightly storms pushed the trash from the bleachers onto the field. I’m gonna attribute that to general public not the EAAers in attendance. In contrast, the trash during the day was nearly nonexistent.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

We left Osh on Friday the 28th after being there a week and stopped in southern Indiana for the weekend to visit old friends. We went to their County fair that evening. By the time we left the fair after just a few hours the grounds were covered in trash. Osh at its worse looked like an operating room by comparison.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I agree, I was a first timer and I was super impressed with how well kept the grounds were.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ- View Post
    I agree, I was a first timer and I was super impressed with how well kept the grounds were.
    This has been a tradition at Oshkosh.

Really sad to hear about the twilight flight fest aftermath. Maybe they need some announcements during the events (I didn't go to any this year). Generally that is all that was even done for the greater grounds and has worked for 75 years.

Jerslash,

I was taught to pick things up too, but.... I own and manage commercial real estate and used to pick litter up all the time. A colleague who did the same, caught hepatitis and was told it liekly came from picking-up some trash that he shouldn't have. I stopped picking-up trash unless I have golves or one of those remote grabber picker-upper thingies.

Not saying don't pick up trash. Just be carefull.