Thread: 1 Gripe, 1 Thanks, 1 Request

1 Gripe, 1 Thanks, 1 Request

Yes, all of us have lists of each, but I wanted to keep it simple…

1. Sarcastic thanks to the woman who sat across from me in the Rusty Pilots seminar on Wednesday. She coughed ( full cough) throughout the entire seminar. I sat with a napkin over my mouth and nose, but still, 3 days later I came down with a severe case of whatever it was. Just as I was to start a 3-day, 1150 mile trailer-towing drive home.

2. Sincere Thanks to those folks on carts who either volunteered to give me a ride or responded favorably if I stuck out my hitchhiker thumb or asked “ how ‘bout a ride?” I had one hip replaced 2 years ago and was doing great. Then the other hip went south just a couple months ago. I was hobbling around in quite a bit of pain, even though my doc gave me some tramadol just so I could attend Convention. Special Thanks to one of the Homebuilder Welcome Wagons who pulled up next to me late in the day when they saw my volunteer shirt. “Did you volunteer today?” After responding yes, they said to hop in the back and wanted to know where I needed to go. We chatted a bit since I was the only pax. It was late in the day, late in the week, and I volunteered every day. I was very thankful for that lift.

3. I’ve asked this before but the “more scooter” thread reminded me. When the concrete benches first came out, they had pretty good distribution. Especially along Celebration Way and the other two legs of the entrance “V” leading to forums and Fly Market. Now there are only a few benches at the main entrance and flight line. After volunteering in the homebuilders area, it’s a long trek just to get back to the gate. One respondent in the scooter thread said to just sit on the ground. I have sat on the ground in years past, but with a bad hip, I might get down but no way to get back up. Shoot, I’ll even volunteer to buy a few benches if I could receive assurance they’d be located as requested. But that ain’t gonna happen…

Don’t get old folks; treat every day as the gift it is.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

“Don’t get old folks;…”

Well…getting old beats the alternative.

Volunteering keeps the spirit young but the body will have different ideas.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

4 years ago when I turned 70 I knew that 'getting old' was much less an issue than now 'being' old. The few things I have that still work hurt when I use them. lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I remember a TV commercial from many years ago that ended with Jack Palance saying, “Getting old isn’t for sissies.” I didn’t understand it then. I do now.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Anyone else think, "One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer" when they saw the Subject line? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    4 years ago when I turned 70 I knew that 'getting old' was much less an issue than now 'being' old. The few things I have that still work hurt when I use them. lol
    I have come to the conclusion that many parts of the body hurt after 80 and the parts that don't hurt, don't work.

Bob

I've got a gripe I would like to share. First thing on Monday I headed to the wearhouse to make my annual purchase of a polo shirt with the event date on it. Lo and behold there were no dated shirts to be found. I found a friendly worker and asked if they had any and the worker told me no. When I asked why they had no shirts the worker pointed out the individual in charge of ordering stuff like that and suggested I ask him. So I did. His response was that they did have dated polo shirts but they had sold out online before the show. When I asked why didn't they order enough shirts he went on a rambling explanation about having had leftover shirts they couldn't sell after the show. I can remember previous years where EAA offered multi-colored dated polo shirts and see, to sell most of them. Last year as I recall they offered one choice in a dated polo shirt. A medium blue Nike polo with the date on the sleeve. For $65. I coughed up the money and bought one because it was all they had. I would think there would be better looking and cheaper shirts available. There was a lot of polo shirts available, but to me they weren't worth the price they were asking for the. Not all of us play golf at a country club and fly Cirrus airplanes. I guess the good thing about this is that the EAA didn't lose tons of money overbuying shirts and should have lots of free cash to build more trams!

Many years ago there was a Lands End outlet store in the outlet mall across the highway from the airport. Each year they would have really nice polo shirts embroidered with an airplane, the word "Oshkosh" and the date. Then one year they didn't and I was told EAA told them they had to stop or they'd sue. Nowhere did the shirt say EAA or Airventure (I'm not even sure they were using Airventure at that point). Anyway....EAA has a Wisconsin based company that sells high quality clothing, that has an embroidery department, and they don't use them! I use Lands End for my corporate apparel and can buy shirts, in my very small quantities, at $30 each. I assume the numbers EAA buys would result in a much lower price. So if they sold them at $65, it’s a 100% (plus) profit and a MUCH nicer shirt.

I don't get it.