Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scooters/bikes should be allowed more places

Quote Originally Posted by Saras 182 View Post
    I am totally shocked by these responses. But it occurs to me that many people just walk straight into the air show at the flight line and never move. I can't say that I have ever done that. I walk through all the hangars, usually more than once. I walk to the vintage area and stol area. Walk over to warbirds. I occasionally make a loop through the fly market. I normally spend the whole week, and still miss something. Even after the first day I am exhausted. But yet I have 6 more days left. The EAA website itself suggests to bring multiple pairs of shoes. To hear so many people don't want to make it easier to check out all Airventure has to offer,, is very surprising.

I made clear that I wasn't saying to allow scooters everywhere.. but not allowing them in homebuilt camping, but allowing them in n40 camping or s40 camping is ridiculous.
    The trolleys or trams are useless. They never slow down for you to get on. And you don't know where they are going to or coming from anyways. And if you did, there aren't enough of them. I have been going to airventure for five years (first year flying in) and have never used them once or even know of anyone that has used them. We all normally walk 5-10miles each day, according to the phones.. which obviously can be highly inaccurate.

At the very least, how about getting some more benches. Can we at least all agree that some more benches would be nice.
    You were serious? Having to dodge the normal motorized and foot traffic isn't enough? I can only imagine the amount of injuries this would cause.

The more that the OP Saras182 posts, the more inclined I am to conclude they are nothing but a sad troll. The inane comment "The trolleys or trams are useless. They never slow down for you to get on. And you don't know where they are going to or coming from anyways." has me seriously wondering how they were able to find Wittman in the first place with such limited observational and map reading skills. One must assume someone else drives them to the event. If a person's vision is so poor that they can't see a 10' tall color coded pylon with 12" letters that reads TRAM then I suggest a guide person leading them around the grounds is their best bet.

And 'oddly enough' ALL the trams travel in the direction that the tractor is facing - it's easier on the tires that way. Furthermore, the TRAMS trams ONLY stop at tram stops indicated by the aforementioned 10' tall color coded pylons that read TRAM. If that is also too confusing for the OP, please refer back to the guide person idea for your own safety and well being.

With the understanding that often Mrs. Gump was also correct in her observation. And that's all I have to say about that.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gonna put my 2 cents in on something Randy forgot to mention. I have been driving tram for more years than I care to remember, and one thing I notice is that you can have the most knowledgeable conductor on the back of the tram almost shouting out where we are going, or pointing out points of interest, but very few people will listen and when the tram stops, both the conductor and I will be bombarded with questions about what they were just told. My second penny has to do with the alleged VIP's running around in cars, gators or golfcarts that think they own the place and we have to get out of their way. I could go on, but enough said from me.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post

According to google, the Oshkosh area will make $170 million for the week.
    That's the gross income of the entire region from the event. It goes to everyone from EAA to little mom and pop motels in Appleton, and everywhere in between. And then you have to subtract the business expenses from that to see what profit actually comes out of the event. Maybe $25-$50M for the entire region?

Per the 2022 annual report, EAA's top line income from the event was $12M and they spent half of that on expenses for the event. The other $6M goes to fund other EAA activities that don't bring in income. Which of those activities do we want to defund to pay for more infrastructure for a one week event? Especially an event that continues to grow at a remarkable pace, implying that the event itself already has an adequate set of amenities?
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-03-2023 at 04:48 AM.

To hear so many people don't want to make it easier to check out all Airventure has to offer,, is very surprising.

At the very least, how about getting some more benches. Can we at least all agree that some more benches would be nice.
    Who said they don't want to make things easier? I see reasoned responses explaining why it is hard/not financially responsible/and maybe impractical to make certain changes.

Benches are nice, but sitting on the ground is allowed. As are lightweight chairs you can carry with you and plop down anywhere you want. That's how my group rolls - 10 miles of walking a day, plus the occasional tram ride, each of us carrying a lightweight folding chair, water, and a couple of snacks in a backpack. Been doing it that way for 29 years...

I am totally shocked by these responses. But it occurs to me that many people just walk straight into the air show at the flight line and never move.
    I averaged 6 miles of walking per day during OSH. We did sit for the Wed night airshow, but that is pretty much it for sitting.

You should really spend some time on https://www.eaa.org/airventure so you have all the info you need before you get there.

That $170M is new money coming in. It's not the barber giving $10 to the baker who gives it to the cook who gives it to the clerk, etc.

I'm not the OP, but I agree with the title of this thread: scooters/bikes should be allowed in more places. It really is the best way to get around AirVenture.

The first time I came to Oshkosh, after walking around the grounds all day, I attended the evening program at Theater in the Woods. Afterwards there were no trams or buses operating, and I had to hike to my campsite in the N40. I learned my lesson and have brought a bike every year since.

I wouldn't say trams are useless, but the one time I tried to use a tram this year, I was at Vintage Northbound, and I waited, and when the tram finally arrived it was full and only two people got off. There was a guy behind me on crutches, so of course I let him and his companion have the empty seats, and I told my companion let's just walk. So, trams are not useless, just mostly useless for me, because whenever I want to ride, someone more decrepit than me shows up, and my conscience won't allow me to take the last seat.

The forums and workshops are mostly scheduled 15 minutes apart. There's no way to get from the forums plaza to the museum or the ultralight forums tent by tram or foot in 15 minutes, but by bike it is possible.

I would like to point out that everyone who is able to ride a bike to his destination frees up a seat on a tram!

Since I've been coming to AirVenture, they've made it harder for cyclists to access and park near the forums and other areas. I'd like to see that trend reversed.

See, you think that if bikes were allowed on the grounds, you could get to forums quicker. In actuality, if bikes were allowed on the grounds, there would be kids riding bikes all over the place like in Scholler.

I haven't stayed in Scholler, but bikes are not a problem in the N40 or around the perimeter of the showgrounds or on the roads to the museum and Pioneer Airport or outside the fence to the restaurants and stores Northwest of the field. I'm not asking for them to be allowed everywhere, just more places.
    Last edited by dougbush; 08-14-2023 at 11:56 PM.