Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Scooters/bikes should be allowed more places

One can not appreciate the potential scale of the problem unless looking at Camp Scholler. The roads are constantly choked with UTVs, ATVs, golf carts, scooters, motorcycles, bikes, and EVs. EAA has put up signs banning non licensed drivers from operating motorized vehicles but they are totally behind the curve with regard to electric bikes for example. They move thru the area with complete to disregard to speed, pedestrians and stay out areas.
    It is hard enough protecting the planes from kids and unknowing and thoughtless attendees. Adding bikes and the like is just a BAD IDEA.
    Last edited by Airmutt; 08-15-2023 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Correct typos
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Shaking my head reading this. Im going to say my two cents worth and then no more as I'm sure their will be backlash. In large events like this scooters and bikes should only be used by event staff and security(for getting from point A to point B quickly) and the disabled/elderly/mobility impaired. Everyone else should walk. Walking is healthy for you. I am disabled but I walked everywhere there. And even lost a couple pounds doing so. Over and out.
    Sussie from Oregon
    Proud EAA member (High Desert Flyers EAA Chapter 1345)
    Volunteer for The B-17 Alliance and Erickson's Aircraft Museum
    Proud to call 211 and Sky Raider "my boys"

I work as a photographer for EAA and we do have a limited amount of golf carts we can use if we need them. I probably use one 3 or 4 days out of the week. The rest of the time, I walk around, but in years past I would take the trams. This year, like other mentioned, I noticed if you didn't get on at one of the end-points, you weren't getting on. Very few people got off at the Vintage stops. I rode a tram one time this year. Maybe lack of trams or volunteers running them? For the tram operators here, do they still force everyone to get off at the end? Seems like they should.

I walked so much, the trams passed me a lot. I had to laugh because I was telling my girlfriend about one of the tram operators telling the same jokes over and over and that I'd learned his jokes. "My Dad was a man of few words. One day he said, Son...." At that exact moment, he came by and told that joke!

It was a hot year, but I thought it was a great event and I can't wait to go next year.

*I resemble that remark. I have a repertoire of some 75+ jokes that I go through each 6 hour shift. lol

This year we experimented with sending an empty tram out of the terminals about every 3rd or 4th tram for the very reason you state. On all the trams I conducted, when departing a terminal I tried to leave the very last bench in front of me empty, to assist in reducing the wait at the first stop. Figure that with about 75,000 folks a day through the gates and a tram only holding about 40 guests, we gotta make a LOT of trips.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

You know, if you doubled the speed of the trams and cut the time at the stops in half, you could transport twice as many passengers with the same number of volunteers and trams.
    Last edited by dougbush; 08-16-2023 at 12:15 AM.

The trams are currently limited to 6-8 mph and are capable of going much faster but…..
    1. One can’t go much faster simply due to all of the pedestrian traffic.
    2. In a panic stop even at that low speed the weight of the tram just causes the tractor to slide.
    3. The trams are a solid axle design. Just hitting the small bumps is quite a jolt. Last year when I drove I would slow down before the “hit” for passenger comfort. It was interesting to see how the tram reacted to the imperfections in the pavement. Sometimes what looked like a minor thing resulted in quite a jolt; other times not so much.

Historically they are always short tram drivers. Can’t speak for this year. Personally I think EAA needs to do something to entice more volunteers and have better fleet management. Just my two cents.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Historically they are always short tram drivers.
    Can't they get any taller ones?

Sorry, I just had to throw that in there for ChicagoRandy do add to his repertoire.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

My first look at the forum since I got back and I am suprised, you guys have no idea what you have got. This my my first time from England and it was by far the best organised event I have been to in 40 years of going to shows. We used the UWO shuttle, seaplane shuttle plus the trams many times a day. Only gripe was that the trams were not running when we got there about 7am, and they need a tram stop closer to warbirds. The drivers and the 'conductor' were great and we never had much of a problem getting on. We ere there Saturday-Thursday and went to every part of the show. I would perfer to see less vehicles, particually in the exhibition area where there were some crazy drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbelc View Post
    My first look at the forum since I got back and I am suprised, you guys have no idea what you have got. This my my first time from England and it was by far the best organised event I have been to in 40 years of going to shows. We used the UWO shuttle, seaplane shuttle plus the trams many times a day. Only gripe was that the trams were not running when we got there about 7am, and they need a tram stop closer to warbirds. The drivers and the 'conductor' were great and we never had much of a problem getting on. We ere there Saturday-Thursday and went to every part of the show. I would perfer to see less vehicles, particually in the exhibition area where there were some crazy drivers.
    Oshkosh ruins all other airshows, I'm with you on that.

Driving Trams is stressful enough, let alone dealing with folks who seem to be oblivious to everything around them, causing safety issues and general disruption. We have volunteered for Trams for a few years now, but boy, it is a stressful time!

Here are a few clips from the madness-

https://youtu.be/NoXveJgOltk?si=BN2ZFL7EpRpRWXPr

Hope that things next year things smooth out a bit and folks try to understand there is a lot going on and we all need to work together!