Thread: The future of Avgas

The future of Avgas

I have been looking to purchase an airplane for some time now. I want something high performance. But the future of avgas is making me hesitate. Warbirds and high performance aircraft will seemingly be the type left behind as unleaded variants come out. While it may be some time until this happens, it is already difficult enough for sellers, especially if their model may become obsolete (or require re-engining) in the near future. I don't want to be in that position in 5 years.

Will turboprops or diesel powered variants gain wider acceptance? Thanks for your opinions.....

The uncertain future of av-gas is one of the four primary reasons for my decision to put a turboprop on my design. I originally was going to go with a diesel engine but was unable to find a certified one with sufficient horsepower to justify the weight. The next design I am planning to work on is going to be an LSA powered by a diesel. I am staying away from 100LL powered engines until this issue is settled and non-certificated engines designed to run unleaded automotive grade gasoline completely.

That said, I don't believe that there will as disastrous an impact as a lot of people are fearing but I figure why even risk it?

From an engineering perspective, virtually every Continental or Lycoming will run well on 94UL, which is basically 100LL without the lead. The exceptions are the engines which need the extra octane, such as many (most?) forced induction engines. My belief is that 94UL or some other solution will keep the vast majority of the fleet in the air.

I wouldn't want to own anything turbocharged (turbonormalized might be OK), because that ownership situation could get really ugly with a stroke of the EPA's pen.

The exceptions are the engines which need the extra octane, such as many (most?) forced induction engines
    I thought there were higher octane unleaded fuels available, just not "approved" for aviation use. This is just a half-ass guess based on something I heard a while back since I don't know for certain and haven given enough of the south end of a northbound rat to investigate it.