Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Restaurants?

Good Restaurants?

Every year we have a few days that are not covered by honorary dinners.

We’ve been every year since 2005 so know most of the main drag / chain places.

I’m looking for places that have opened in the last 3-4 years. Again, no national chains, but looking for some fun places. We would always hit Kodiak Jacks, but of course they’re gone. We always hit Fox River Brewery, so looking for places with similar vibes.

Any suggestions?

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I can heartily recommend the Mineshaft. Leave the airport through the "hole in the wall" gate, the one before the Friar Tuck's gate, and walk NW another 2 blocks. They opened in 2020. Breakfast and dinner.
    I also like The Hangar, formerly The Pit, just west of the Hilton. Good food and close by.
    We usually go to The Roxy at least once. Ride the city bus from the bus park to the terminal then walk north 4 short city blocks. Reservations are mandatory. The bus ride is free outbound but ~$5 for the return trip. Exact change.
    I've also eaten at TJ'S Harbor. It's south of Seaplane Base so you'll need an Uber or the Korbu$$en van to get there. Rotisserie style comfort food. On the lakeshore with live music.
    Google has the latest info.

Thanks, Steve; we’ll be at the Mineshaft on Thursday for the Zenith banquet. May check out the Hangar. We have transportation so distance is not an issue. Never been to TJs but know exactly where it is.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Well if you’ve got transportation I would recommend running up to Neenah or Appleton. Lots of micro brewery/pubs and you are far enough away from the AV crowd that wait times are reasonable. Several weeks ago, a group of us work weekend party folks went to the Mineshaft and it was pretty poor service. Waited nearly an hour for our food, the waitress never came by and asked if we wanted drink refills. Granted it was their Friday all you can eat fish fry but they weren’t overrun either. The food wasn’t bad for the price. Hope your banquet experience is better.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Never eaten anything but breakfast there. But the downtown Best Western has a patio on the bar that sits right on the river walk, on the eastern side (e.g. shadowed side) of the building. Nice place to catch a beer and watch the scenery as you decompress from a busy day.

Name:  river.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  43.4 KB

Ron wanttaja

IIRC, Mineshaft had a shuttle (real sketchy looking) that sat outside Sleepy Hollow (across the street from SOS Bros) trying to get people to take a ride to the joint. We declined.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

If you like Sushi, there is a good all you can eat place on Jackson street on the north side call Sushi Lovers. $28.99 for all you can eat.

Check out Becket’s in Oshkosh. Very good good and great location on the river.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

After 30+ years of Oshkosh, we've found a number of good local places we enjoy.
    1. Wendt's on the lake- enjoy a spotted cow, some fried perch,vinegar slaw and waffle fries under a big tent with a bunch of good people by Lake Winnebago.
    2. Parnell's- great Wisconsin supper club. An old fashioned, broasted chicken and baked potato. Reasonably priced an a real nice atmosphere to boot.
    3. Ardy and Ed's- old style drive with carhops on roller skates. Typical drive in burgers,fries,shakes, but a fun atmosphere.
    4. Pete's Garage- my personal favorite, even Pelton frequents this bar. Great burgers and grill food. Totally irreverent servers. Oshkosh's best dive bar by far!
    Just my .02 cents worth
    Have a great time

Parker Johns BBQ downtown is excellent. Wife has pretty serious Gluten intolerance/ IBS etc. We love the place. Great service.