Thread: Normal sequence oil loss

Normal sequence oil loss

Between use and throwing oil, I used about 5 qts in 30 hrs of flying what would be intermediate type sequences. Mostly, -2 to + 4 G little to no knife edge. Would this be considered in the norm?

Hello,

What model engine? Flying IAC Intermediate, in a Pitts S-2A with a Lyco IO-360-A1A (200HP) a typical practice flight is +6 to -3G. I fly practice hops of about 0.6hr and I expect to throw out a quart of oil every 3 flights. A typical practice hop includes at least one snap roll, at least one vertical roll up into a hammer, a rolling turn, and stuff like a loop, immelman with a 2x4 on top, and an upright or inverted spin.

Hope this info is helpful.

Wes
    N78PS

Very helpful thanks. I have a io- 360 as well. My oil loss is less than yours, so I'm not going to worry about it. I will reroute my oil breather to the underside of the fuselage, as it is currently coming out the side just above the rudder horn.

Thanks again Wes

I fly an RV4 with a 0320 -= and I do aerobatics to 4G usually - ingelman's - etc... loops and rolls - etc... not too much in the way of inverted stuff - but I do verticle rolls - and cuban and reverse cuban 8's other stuff like that - I also do flights usually in about the .5 - .7 hour range - (darn price of fuel) - 1.77per liter here - anyways - I use approx. .5 liter of oil that's about 1/2 quart every 3 flights too. I was a bit worried at first but I think it's about normal and mostly due to the kind of flying I'm doing. You are doing more Neg. g than me - so likley you will loose a bit more - mine will blow out oil from the vent tube if I go neg for very long - say in a hammerhead that I did'nt time correctly for example. I will see it on the cowl after landing. I have learned not to do this so I don't loose as much now as I did when I first started.

Quote Originally Posted by LJM View Post
    Very helpful thanks. I have a io- 360 as well. My oil loss is less than yours, so I'm not going to worry about it. I will reroute my oil breather to the underside of the fuselage, as it is currently coming out the side just above the rudder horn.

Thanks again Wes