I received this email from EAA today, which I presume means the end of EAA's relationship with SOLIDWORKS:

A New CAD Program for EAA Members
EAA has partnered with Siemens to offer members free access to Solid Edge professional 3D CAD software.

Solid Edge is an easy-to-use, synchronous CAD program that allows users to simulate, draft, and render 3D designs. With a streamlined workflow, data migration options from other industry software, and a plethora of training resources and customer support, Solid Edge provides a great package that is available for free to EAA members.

This is a great tool for homebuilders looking for a place to plan their aircraft designs or any design project! Learn more about SolidEdge and download your package.
Get Solid Edge

First, I'd like to thank EAA for working to find a replacement for SOLIDWORKS. Before I "authorize Siemens Digital Industries Software and its affiliates to contact me via email, phone, and postal mail about its products and services," I have just a few questions for EAA staff:

1. The SolidEdge download page offers this software to "any active maker, CAD enthusiast, or design challenge competitor." What's special about EAA's relationship with Siemens, or, put a different way, what's special about this deal for EAA members?

2. After the SOLIDWORKS debacle, I'm a little gun-shy. Will Siemens want to put their hand in my pocket a couple of years form now, once I've invested time in learning their software and drawing my projects?

3. Will EAA or Siemens provide any support specifically for EAA members, or will the SolidEdge Community Forum be the only avenue for support?

4. Does the software permit local storage of users' design files (on my own computer only), or is this an online-only product? Does it require public sharing of my designs?

Thanks.